A fresh new print in the snow

Hey there
I’m fairly new to graphic design, but not new to communications and project management. I was a corporate systems analyst for 15+ years telling the business side what they thought they wanted and the IT side what they needed to do so that everything turned out the way I was thinking it should. Through a fatal misstep in my career path, I fell victim to a massive budget cut, decided a change was needed, and went back to school for graphic design.

I am currently working with a small local arts festival designing communications and merch, various small projects on the side, and designing for a couple business startups.

I’m here because I don’t know what I don’t know. And, I do know that there’s a lot that I don’t know. I look forward to further learning.

BigFootPrint
Somewhere in the Northwoods of MN

2 Likes

Well, that’s definitely a good start. You see so many newbies who think they already know what is so glaringly obvious they don’t have a clue about. This is probably because you are not 17 and have a career under your belt already. Stick with it and learn from the best designers. Look at work if the greats. Stick around here, post queries and ask for critiques. There are a good few seasoned, experienced and knowledgeable designers here who are always willing to help. Responses may not always be sugar-coated, but will be honest and sometimes painfully frank – which is ultimately what you need to improve.

1 Like

Welcome Aboard @BigFootPrint!! Glad you found us :slight_smile:

You’re not so new to graphic design as you might think. Designers need those very same kind of skills. :wink:

1 Like

Absolutely. I often loathe that portion of projects because you have to stand your ground and I sometimes hate having to defend my choices. But yeah super important for sure, learned the hard way.

Welcome to the forum!

Oh yeah! That fine line between meritocracy and feudalism…

Thanks for the advice. Painfully frank is fine with me. If I’m posting, I’m not looking for adoration…more than likely I’m stuck on what feels like a bad or incomplete idea.