Any architecture enthusiasts here?

This building always fascinated me. The Marine Corps Museum at Quantico/Triangle VA. I just love it :slight_smile: I’ve passed by it enough. I hope one day to actually visit :wink:

1 Like

Here is a pic I snapped at about 80 mph LOL :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

We put in a bid for one of the exhibit spaces in there. Didn’t get it. :frowning:

1 Like

The ‘Volcano House’ in the California desert, between Barstow and Las Vegas. Sold for $750k a few years ago. I’m a sucker for houses that look like UFOs.

2 Likes

only 750K? Something not right there. When does the solar farm go in? :slight_smile:

1 Like

At 2200 square feet, the house isn’t especially big. And living in a flying saucer-shaped house perched atop a volcanic cinder cone at the end of a long dirt road in the middle of the Mojave Desert 40 miles east of Barstow would take a special kind of person.

2 Likes

Let me take you back in time to one of the best Architectural designs I’ve ever seen - genuinely blown away.

We were in Mexico for our honeymoon and went to Chichén Itzá.

Here’s a pic from that time

This is an incredible piece.

Astoundingly, around the euqinoxes the sun casts a shadow of a serpent crawling down the temple and back up the temple.

And not ony that.
If you clap your hands - the echo from the clap reverberates off the temple and makes a chirping noise, which is the same noise as a Quetzal bird - which was sacred to the Aztecs.

Truly remarkable!

Imagine asking an architect to make your house chirp like a bird you like when you clap your hands…

4 Likes

A buddy sent me this article today showing renderings of unbuilt Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. They are pretty great.

1 Like

The recently built and pencil-thin Steinway Tower in New York City is a building you couldn’t talk me into visiting, let alone live in (climbing a ladder is enough to make me panic).

I suspect the top floors sway back and forth by several feet in a stiff wind. I’d half expect it to snap in two during a strong gale.

Then again, with living space there going for many millions of dollars per unit, I’ll never need to consider it anyway.

2 Likes

This is really cool, a virtual tour of the Sowden House. If you’re not familiar with it, the Sowden House was designed by Lloyd Wright, son of Frank Lloyd Wright. It is somewhat infamous as it was owned by a late doctor named George Hodel who is a suspect in the unsolved Black Dahlia murder.

2 Likes

General Services Administration has been trying to sell the Chet Holifield Federal Building (aka The Ziggurat) in Laguna Niguel, California. Starting bid was $70 and there weren’t any bidders. They’re now trying to figure out what went wrong and why no one bid.

Designed by William Pereira, who also designed or co-designed the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco, the iconic “Theme Building” at Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, CBS Television City, and the city of Irvine, California.

It had to have been brutal working in there. Over a million square feet of office space and only a handful of windows. It was featured prominently in the movie Death Race 2000 (1975). I do love dystopian architecture.

2 Likes

I had forgotten about this thread. Glad to be reminded of it.

If the federal government no longer has a use for this building, I can’t imagine who might. I would hate working there with the endless hallways and thousands of cubicles illuminated by artificial fluorescent lights casting a sickly glow over the faceless bureaucrats who mindlessly show up for work each day to shuffle papers from one cubicle to the next.

I like how they’ve tried to soften it by adding a few green plants that seem to grow directly out of the concrete. The massive overhangs above the few windows let those inside see just enough daylight to ensure they’re depressed and miserable.

It’s too expensive to simply tear down, so it’ll likely sit for decades as it slowly decays.

The video says it was built for Rockwell in a relatively private area. I’d guess Rockwell wouldn’t want too many points of entry to view their work.

It would make one heck of a convention and event center, except its about 60 miles away from LAX.

Dayum I could have bought this for $80 ?

Imagine the taxes and utility bills though!

$70 million. That was where they wanted to start the bidding, but no takers.

Here’s another opportunity to buy a Frank Lloyd Wright house … assuming the $3.825M price tag isn’t too much for you. :wink:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21200-Center-Ave-Los-Banos-CA-93635/2130481128_zpid/

1 Like

I got to see this house in person a few years ago – just the outside from the street – and was quite taken with it. The inside looks fantastic — in my opinion, at least, fully recognizing this isn’t going to be everyone’s cup of tea.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3704-S-Birmingham-Ave-Tulsa-OK-74105/22185688_zpid/

2 Likes

A visual treat for fans of mid century modern…

https://www.zillow.com/homes/12367-Deerbrook-Lane,-Brentwood,-CA-90049_rb/20560082_zpid/

2 Likes