Attempting the hero section of my dev portfolio

Hi folks,
I’m a web developer, finally ready to showcase a few portfolio pieces for which I am creating a portfolio website. Currently labouring over the design of the hero section (the initial section above the fold as it were), which will set the tone more or less for the rest of the website. I believe I have a good eye for design, but I think you need a lot more than that! That said, I’m not in a position to hire a designer so I’ve been giving it a go myself, hoping it wont drag out too much further, in which case I may try and find someone after all. With that in mind I figured it would be a good idea to get some feedback first though. Thanks in advance for any offerings, however brutal!

I am in very subjective territory here since I am my own client. I’m hoping to create something that’s a little novel, attracts attention through cohesion of elements and good composition. I started with a greyscale colouring but on the advice of my parents (who are apposed in what they like) I’ve tried to incorporate colour. I sill like the black and white and figured I might be able to add a little colour, and maybe that would be enough. I’ve also tried to add lots of colour. Here’s what I have so far:

Edit: I forgot to mention, the figure animates and a bunch of icons representing web technologies pop out of the bag. I’ll see if I can post a screen recording of that…