Branding For Local Cinema

Hello,

I’m currently working on fictitiously rebranding a local cinema. The cinema is local and historic, but I think a little old and tired. Should I continue in the direction of a sharp modern logo, or return to the more classic logo?

• The cinema is on a sea front which is why blue is used

• The concept is that local community can vote for their favourite films to be shown within the cinema. This is why the logo slightly resembles a speech bubble

• The shape of the logo also represents a projection, as films are projected onto the screen.!

Or should I divert, and create more traditional logos to represent it’s heritage?

• The cinema was established in 1928

• The cinema includes art deco elements

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! :grinning:

Thank you!

2 Likes

HI! I like what you did with the new branding. Loving de colours and the shape of the projection. i think is very modern. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey!

Thanks a lot for your feedback! :+1:

To be honest, I find the first logo a bit too simple, the colors are alright but I’d say that the projection could have been represented more clearly, for me, before reading I thought that the two lines outside the R letter is just a weird shadow of the letter ( that is what came to my mind ) Also, I don’t think that in the outlined version the text " The Regent Cinema " is well placed there. I’d say your logo could use more work, try emphasizing the idea of projection a bit more.

As for the second logo, the more traditional one, I really like the first logo on top left and the red badge.

Keep up the good work ! :blush:

1 Like

Hey,

Thanks for your feedback! I agree with a lot of what you have said, and will take it into consideration. Just what I needed!!

Thanks again! :grinning:

1 Like

I’m so impressed with how you laid it out on all the materials! We rarely see that. :slight_smile:

I like the first concept better. The screen projection concept is clear and the graphic visually conveys “cinema.” To me, it looks creative and focused and I like it.

I don’t think “modern” or “classic” matter. Does the graphic work for the client’s message? This one does.

I’m not wild about any of those fonts so far. I don’t care for the sketchy or lined insides, because they’ll disappear when smaller.

How about just the word “Regent” inside the screen, with a vintage-looking, elegant display serif font? Then “Cinema” underneath, in a normal sans serif font.

I chose these because they’re elegant but still readable.

1 Like

Lewis, you mentioned the cinema being historic, so if that’s the case, the character and history of the cinema should be considered.

I took the liberty of looking it up based on the clues you provided. I’m assuming we’re discussing the cinema near Redcar, England, correct? (Photo below)

If so, the building is unusual, with an Art Deco facade.

A little more research shows that the cinema was recently renovated with overwhelming support from the local community — many of whom have good memories of the cinema, apparently love it and want it preserved.

The reason I’m mentioning all this is because it’s a prime example of how a logo and visual branding can’t be designed in a vacuum that focuses mostly on aesthetics.

Instead, a logo should be considered as part of a larger brand that reflects the personality (or desired personality) of the entity it represents. It also needs to resonate in an appropriate way with the target audience.

In the case of this cinema, it’s a quirky building in an interesting location with historic Art Deco motifs. It’s also loved by both the local community and visitors to the area who probably all have fond memories of the place.

In visual brand design, it’s extremely important to do research, then develop a visual identity that is in keeping with the findings uncovered by the research.

Just based upon the little research I did, I wouldn’t even consider a modern logo that might be more appropriate for a newer, multi-theatre strip mall complex. This cinema is special, unique, quirky and beloved for what it was and still should be. Any branding modifications need to be in keeping with that.

All this considered, if it were my project, I’d likely head straight toward a refinement of their existing Art Deco logo with hardly any thoughts to the contrary.

JS55663702

3 Likes

Hello!

Thank you so much for taking your time to give your feedback! And thank you for the compliments!

I like your idea with using just the word “Regent” inside the screen, and I love the fonts you have provided me! I’ll definitely experiment with that concept, and hopefully be able to show you soon!

Thanks again :blush:

Just so.

1 Like

Hello!

Thank you for taking so much time to help me and my project! It really does mean a lot.

You’re correct with your impression of the cinema, and I agree with everything you’ve said. I do also think that the rebrand should in fact play to it’s existing qualities, as that’s where the cinema’s uniqueness resides.

I’ve had a very tough time finding any inspiration or examples of similar brands, which is probably why I’ve gravitated towards a more traditional, modern logo. My initial ideas were to keep to art deco, but the logos all came off rather corny, which is why I originally strayed away.

But you’re correct, I will try and refine their existing logo as you suggested, and that will assure I encapsulate the cinema and it’s ethos.

Thanks again! :blush:

From what I can tell, their existing logo (the big sign above the entrance) already looks a bit like a movie screen with the name of the cinema inside. It just might be that you’ve already discovered the path to a good solution. :wink:

1 Like

Hey!

I’ve just been reworking the current logo as you suggested. And trying to come up with a more art deco feel. If you have any free time, please let me know what you think!

Original logo:

10153001_696416303733502_1002467407_n-1

Reworked logo:

A few versions and concepts:

Thanks again! :grinning:

I like the top left one. Except without the tiny words above and below. They’re too small. Maybe try incorporating them into the logo, much bigger.

That upper right example… how did you do that onto the textured paper?

1 Like

Thanks again for feedback! But yes, I agree. The words are far too small now reflecting on it.

However, what do you think of it, if it were to be a scalable logo like this:

And that’s just a simple mockup! Here’s the link:

Thanks! :blush:

Oh, a mockup. Of course. Smacks head. Thanks for the link!

I’d say increase “the” and “Est. 1928” at least half the size of the big words. Otherwise they’ll just dwindle down to unreadable blobs when it’s printed on an office printer.

I’m not sure they actually belong on the logo, unless they can be a strong part of it. Every piece of a logo/design should either contribute to the message, or get out of the way. My opinion, of course.

1 Like

No problem!

I agree with your statement! Thanks again for the advice!

I like what you’ve done. I only have a couple of final suggestions.

First, the R is a bit different from the other letters. It’s reminiscent of the R in the existing logo, which I assume is why you used it. The variations in the thickness of the stroke around the bowl and the curvature of the leg, however, don’t quite match the other letters. If it were me, I’d try to fix that, but it’s a fairly minor thing.

Second, it likely won’t be possible on every letter, but I’d try to be more consistent about matching up the diagonal sight lines and unifying the angles to a common slant (below).

1 Like

Thanks again for your feedback!

I see what you mean about the R, and I agree. I’ll work on making it match the other letters.

And, thanks a lot for your diagram, very helpful. I’ll also try make the diagonal lines more consistent!

Thanks! :blush: :+1:

I really dig the new concept with the projected R. I saw it right away. Lots of possibilities and flexibility, as you’ve already demonstrated, for branding materials. Great work on this.

1 Like

Hello!

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback, it means a lot.