Business Card Mockup

Hi There,

I created this business card in GIMP yesterday for practice purpose.

I am making progress, but am still in the process of learning.

The logo is not my own creation, I found it on a website for free vectors and logos.

Let me know if you have any feedback on possible improvements.

All the best,

The logo is way to small (and has several issues of its own),

The image of a cardiogram, the red rectagle and the green rectangle are completely unnecessary. They only take up space and drive the viewer’s attention away from the contact info and the logo.

Start by getting rid of the unnecessary elements and enlarging the logo.

Those neon greens are not printable in CMYK, which is the only way to print a photo business card. They will dull down to a grayish green. Gimp is a photo editing software, not a layout software.

That free logo is worth every penny. IOW, as Jakub said, it has way too many problems of its own.

Gimp is the wrong software. Try inkscape.

yep

I wrote a long response and deleted it. The tone came out way more snooty than intended. If you want to be a graphic designer, that’s fine. I’d do your research and make sure it’s a viable career option wherever you are. If so, chart a legitimate course forward to achieve that goal. What you’ve posted here is so substandard on so many levels that it should be abandoned. This is nowhere near approaching a professional level.

Not to pile on here, but visual hierarchy matters. The icons are more visible than the contact info next to them.

1 Like

In addition to not building a business card in GIMP (or any photo/image editor) and not building it in bright RGB colors outside the CMYK gamut, here’s another thing to consider.

Business cards must reflect the personality of the profession they represent. A hair stylist’s card must look appropriate for a hairstylist. The same applies to carpenters, lawn mowing companies, auto mechanics, attorneys, and every other profession or service.

Communicating these desirable qualities and traits is a deeper problem than simply placing an image of hair, wood, grass, or, in your case, an electrocardiogram on the card. Instead, the card must exude the personality and qualities that subliminally convey the essence of the profession or service in a way that resonates with the expectations and concerns of potential customers, clients, or patients.

Put another way, when looking for entertainment or catering for a child’s birthday party, one might expect the business card to convey childlike fun, a love for children, and a sense of trust. Similarly, the business card of a hairstylist must communicate a sense of style and professionalism. An auto mechanic needs a card that suggests competence, experience, and honesty at a fair price.

What tone, personality, and subliminal message is appropriate for a cardiologist? It certainly shouldn’t look fun. It shouldn’t look inexpensive. It shouldn’t look trendy. It shouldn’t look fancy or stylish.

Instead, it should, in every way, convey a sense of ultimate professionalism, competence, intelligence, education, and experience. It must appear laser focused on visually communicating one main message: I am a highly qualified physician whose competence you can trust to do everything possible in medical science to save your life.

Does your card communicate that message with the trendy logo, the bright colors, the little icons, and the heartbeat image cliché?

It makes sense except for the name/logo and the red/green bar on the bottom.

I would not have the icons in black boxes.

Uniform them so they are all like the icon of the world