Buying products for their logo

Maybe I’m totally alone in this :crazy_face: - but do you sometimes knowingly buy an inferior product on the basis that you like the logo more than the alternative products.

For example - I’ll purchase a new laptop later this year and I already know I’ll buy a Lenovo Yoga, purely on the basis that their logo is (in my opinion), the least ugly-looking logo out of all mainstream Windows laptop manufacturers.

It’s totally superficial and shallow I know, but do you ever do this, or am I on my own here??

I wouldn’t buy candy for the logo, never mind a laptop.

1 Like

I’d never even consider a logo in my purchase.
It would be purely down to - for example, in a laptop - be related to the best specs that are available at the budget price point.

Purely by chance my last two laptops have been Dell, and it wasn’t because of their logo at all. It was simply down to that I was able to customize the build to the way I wanted it and stay in budget.

I often spend a long time contemplating buying new computers and researching them. It’s something I do on a regular weekly basis as part of another thing I am into.

I’m going to buy an electric car later in the year. And it will purely come down to range and how long it takes to charge it.

I am 100% not loyal to any brand or logo.

^This^

When it comes to hardware, the logo should be the least of your considerations.
Performance and support matter far more than the icon on the back of the lid where you can’t even see it.

Also - I don’t get it - what’s so good about the Lenovo logo? Or the Yoga logo?

Come to think of it - I don’t know of a good computer logo?

They’re pretty mundane, even the apple logo is mundane.

I don’t get it really.

I can understand where I see a logo and I know off the bat that it’s a good quality product.

I was in two-minds over a new fridge recently, It came down to having french doors, had to be black, and ice/water dispenser

It came down to 2 between Samsung and Whirlpool.

I choose Whirlpool in the end.

But the Samsung logo is better than Whirlpool, in my opinion.

But, the logo didn’t matter to me.

Both manufacturers are great manufacturers.

The Whirlpool was even a bit more expensive, but it the features and added features we hadn’t considered.

Sometimes, yes.

True story. My wife and I were in San Antonio, Texas last weekend to visit some of her family that recently moved there. Our plans were to meet them for dinner Saturday night. They haven’t been in SA that long and suggested that we pick a place to meet for dinner. Seemed a little odd since we’d only been in town since Thursday, but we took on the task. We searched for Tex Mex restaurants in their general area of town which gave us a half dozen choices or so. Feeling somewhat irritated by the wishy-washy nature of trying to make plans, I chose the restaurant with the best logo and said, “This is where we’re going.” Turns out, the place was fantastic.

2 Likes

My inner consumer never considered this. Brand and logo are two different things.

Yes, I’ve done almost exactly that too. It stands to reason that the brand image you find most appealing is the best choice. Of course, it could turn out to be a bad choice, but with no other basis (or all other known factors being effectively equal), figuring that a restaurant owner who made a stout branding effort probably serves good product as well, isn’t a bad bet.

Aesthetics of a product and its packaging hold a major place in my buying decisions, but…

No, I never do that.

1 Like

The only time I’ve come close to that thinking is if I am trying something new. Say I find two products that are pretty much the same and the same price range, I will go with the nicer packaging.

Choosing something simply for the logo has never happened.

My response didn’t really answer the original question.

No, I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly bought an inferior product for the logo.

I wouldn’t consciously choose one product over another based solely on the logo, but the logo might factor into my general impression of the product and the brand.

Believing otherwise would be a bit hypocritical since a big part of my career is based on the contention that appearance plays a role in people’s subconscious impressions of quality.

I think the idiom, “don’t judge a book by its cover,” implies that people do exactly that. I know I’ve purchased books because shelf appeal caught my eye.

1 Like

I had to think about it a bit.
The only time I can say I’ve bought an inferior product just for the logo is when I bought a band logo sweatshirt off of one of those print on demand sites (and this site I knew to be hit or miss on the quality of their printing inks) Naturally the logo lasted 3 machine washings (inside out, no drier.) They replaced it for free though, with a much better print. Still have it 3 years and many washings later. The first one, with a little bit of gaffer’s tape to remove the remaining ink, has become my basic black hoodie for yard work. So win win. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the aesthetics of the logo contributes to the aesthetics of the product in some cases and thus how I feel about it (in some cases!).

Perhaps I’m exposing my narcisim here :laughing: - in the case of the laptop, naturally there are other factors which influence my decision making as well (such as the specs, screen, price, size, features etc), but to me, the aesthetics of the logo also weighs in on the decision too if it’s going to be featured on the device.

I think if it’s got a :poop: logo on it, I would’t feel as proud to pull it out in front of strangers, friends and clients and I’d also know that I’m going to have to see :poop: everyday and be irked by it - so it does actually matter to me.

You’re right - it’s not even that great either, in fact it’s probably more mundane than a lot of it’s competitors, but I think that’s possibly a good thing given how bad some of the competitors logos look and how prominant they are. :man_facepalming:

Totally agree, brand is entirely different and comes with reputation etc - am talking about purely the aesthetics of the logo influencing your decision making.

I wouldn’t be too worried about what any stranger thought about anything :wink:

If I was with people I knew and they had the gall to criticize something I had because it didn’t meet their ideals … they might end up with it cracked over their head :grin:

1 Like

Don’t like the logo?
Get a sticker.
If it lights up, get a light blocking sticker.
Just the other day I made a logo sticker for a co-worker to cover the off brand logo on their dishwasher. Didn’t make the unit run any better, but they were happier about it being the only one they could afford. And I bet their friends were more impressed (or not, who looks at the brand of the dishwasher???)

This ranks right up there with people wearing branded apparel. Nobody cares, except you.

1 Like

Not a bad idea, would want it to look professional though, so could always get some stickers printed with my own logo on it. :thinking:

You’re right I don’t really care what strangers think, I should have been more specific: what I meant by strangers, is people who I’m meeting for the first time, that I want to make a good impression on :wink:

Oooo, get a custom domed sticker!
Then it becomes a badge, not a sticker. Even though it is still a sticker and doming was a bit of a cliche for tacky a while back. But they can be tastefully done.

1 Like

But I’ve met people who hate a certain brand of computer due to a bad experience.
So you’re buying a Lenovo Yoga because you like the logo.

And you want to impress people you’re meeting for the first time, but in their eyes they might hate Lenovos due to a bad experience.

I’ve seen people firsthand stray away from top spec computers because of the brand and go for something else inferior but a different brand.

Case in point:
I had a couple who didn’t know too much about computers and wanted to buy a new one for booking tickets and looking up things etc.
No problem, what was their budget about €400 - which is around the spec of a low-end machine.
I suggested they spend more but they couldn’t afford it.

The computer then was slow, unresponsive, couldn’t do what they wanted on it.

The next time I saw them I asked did they get their computer issues resolved. They said they did. They had bought a Mac!

I asked how much was it and they said €2.5k!!!

And to do this day they are iPhones, Macs, iPads all the way.

They had a bad experience with a low budget but good brand Windows computer - and it didn’t work. They won’t even contemplate a Windows computer. Only Mac.

And if they sat in front of you with your Lenovo Yoga laptop - they’d probably think this is not a good fit.

So I’m wondering where the brand/logo/reputation and personal experience/insights fit into all this.

I was talking about cars the other day. And someone said they used to have a FIAT and had to drive from one end of the country on a clutch that was broken - so going 30kmh and took hours.

The price to get it fixed was more than the car was worth.

Somebody chirped up and said isn’t that what FIAT stands for - Fix It Again Tomorrow.

So in their eyes, FIAT are a terrible brand, see their logo and run a mile.
But for others, FIAT have been a reliable brand.

So I’m just wondering where the logo aesthetics and personal experience are meeting separation and diversion in society as a whole.

People putting too much weight in brand.
When kids put down other kids cuz they don’t have the right designer name scrawled across the butt of their pants, ya know… they learn that somewhere…

A few years ago, I worked at a company that decided it wanted to save money on electricity. They banned the employees from using any unapproved electrical gadget, such as desk lamps or space heaters. Periodically, the building maintenance people would make surprise raids to find and confiscate the contraband.

I had a little generic mini-refrigerator beneath my desk that I used for soft drinks and left-over pizza. It was a simple black cube, so to get around the unapproved gadget ban, I pried off a domed emblem from an old Dell computer and glued it to the refrigerator. I also made an official-looking sticker that said something like Dell 5929-A-37 Server Model 892l.73, then connected an Ethernet cable to the thing.

On one of the surprise raids, the maintenance guy commented on my “big computer.” I told him it was for testing big websites. When he left, I opened it up and pulled out a soft drink.

5 Likes