Combination Mark vs Emblem Logo

Hey Everyone,
I’m a little confused about the difference between combination marks, and emblems,
They are both images combined with Text…Emblems are typically more detailed, and historic looking…but I have seen them get simplified and minimalized to the point there is substantial overlap…

Other than the style…is there any solid criteria one would use to distinguish them?
Would it be safe to say that if you apply a solid colored filter to it, and you can no longer make out the details, it’s an emblem…but if if you can it’s a combination mark?

There’s a need to be so particular? A logo is a logo. Whether it’s a shield, badge, wordmark or any combination thereof.
The definition of “emblem” that I get from Merriam Webster is pretty much the definition of a logo:

1. an object or the figure of an object symbolizing and suggesting another object or an idea

No. There’s no need to try to categorize things when the continuum between them is a blur. For example, there are black dogs and brown dogs, but as the fur on a brown dog gets darker, at some point, it becomes a black dog. It’s not important to pin down the exact place in the continuum that this change occurs. It’s totally arbitrary and doesn’t matter. Many words that describe things are just rough references — they’re not rigid categories with defined and agreed-upon boundaries.

I’m trying to develop some type of logo SKU,
because my clients can’t open adobe files,
and want everything saved as individual PNG’s,
but I struggle to name them and provide an inventory list.
with all these variations these days.

How do you name your logos?

An SKU? A Stock-Keeping Unit. Isn’t that a bar code thing of some kind? If you’re asking about naming conventions, I keep it simple and pared down.

Acme_logo_RGB.ai
Acme_logo_CMYK.ai
Acme_logo_Pantone.ai
Acme_logo_RGB_reversed.ai
Acme_logo_CMYK_reversed.ai
Acme_logo_Pantone_reversed.ai
Acme_logo_large.png
Acme_logo_med.png
Acme_logo_small.png
Acme_logo.PDF

Depending on the job, sometimes there are more, but sometimes less.

Here’s my reasoning.

• For professionals, the .ai files will be enough to create anything else from SVGs to TIFFs.
  • Non-professionals won’t know what they’re doing, so they’ll usually resort to the PNG, which is why I create three different sizes — always 24-bit transparent files.
  • The PDF is an all-purpose file that anyone can open and look at. Plus, it contains the vector information a designer needs if the client has lost the .ai files. I always save them as Illustrator compatible.
  • I don’t supply JPEGs. A logo should never be in a JPEG format unless there’s a specific reason. And then, it needs to be made to size. Besides, supplied JPEGs tend to be the ones that get passed around and used, which is never good. If a JPEG is really needed, it requires someone with enough knowledge to make one, which they can do from one of the other files.
  • I don’t supply EPS or TIFF either. They’re just not needed.
  • I don’t usually supply SVGs. Anyone needing one will know how to make it from the .ai files. If they don’t, they have no business working with the SVG to begin with.
1 Like

©2021 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook