First complete sketch of first design ever

Qeustion, does the word have to transform into the suit/graphic? Research different kinds of logos and make up your mind if you’re going with a wordmark like Google, an abstract like Nike or mixed like Starbucks.

One thing it looks like you haven’t quite accounted for is what’s the final size? Is this going to be banner size at the top of the page or Facebook background pic size?

If you look back on your first official finished resume and cringe a year later, you’ll know you made growth.

Good point. Trying to mix the old with the new doesn’t always work, I did that on my last resume, looked at it recently and cringed hard :wink: so now I have a new one. One thing you might want to do is make 3 logos/wordmarks. If this is going to be a blog, then you’ll want to organize it I assume and two likely categories will be your 2D and 3D works, amidst your other tags. So get a logo for yourself as a designer and then two more logos that are more in touch with both fields relatively. Trying to make a jack of all trades logo might result in the logo looking distracted, if you catch my drift.

or make two logos for VR and design.

but he’s right, you won’t learn about VR at all in graphic design courses. The closest you’ll get is 3D rendering for package and environmental design but that’s more static 3D renderings of how your sign is going to be interacted with people, not VR.

Woot! Another Canadian in the mix, East Coaster is it?

Haha, yup!! How about You?

Thanks for the super solid advice here!! 3d rendering seems to be the way to go!!

Ontario, I actually work not to far from the OCAD campus.

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s my second choice of school!! It would be first if Toronto wasn’t so darn expensive. Did you study there?

No, I went to Sheridan and Fanshawe, but I have a had a couple successful hires that came from OCAD.

As a person who hires, do you think a degree is necessary? I’m starting to suspect it is for me, but I’d hate to waste my time if people are hiring self-taught designers

There is a certain level of knowledge you can expect from someone that has a degree; as such, it cuts down the amount of unsuitable applicants to review; saves time and money.

In postings I’ve listed, I have requested a simple skill test, an ad about the applicant with some limitations and specifications to follow, that be sent along with their resume package. It was the first thing I looked at, if it was missing I didn’t consider the applicant, I suppose a designer that was self-taught could have made it through to my call list, but competition is fierce and not having a degree would count against an applicant in a close decision.

TLDR; if you value yourself enough to invest in yourself (degree, formal training, etc) others will see more value in you. Same principle works for your portfolio and how you handle, share and display your work.

2 Likes