Happy National Pie Day! đŸ„§

What’s your favorite pie? I think I like most any type of pie. But, I saw this one and figured I would share giving nod to this special day LOL :wink:

Double Chocolate Mocha Pudding Pie

INGREDIENTS

Crust

• 1 sleeve chocolate wafer cookies

• 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts (or additional cookies)

• 8 tablespoons salted butter, melted

Pudding

• 1/3 cup cornstarch

• 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder

• 1 tablespoon instant espresso

• 3 1/2 cups canned coconut milk (or 2 1/2 cups milk + 1 cup cream)

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar

• 8 ounces 70-90% dark chocolate, chopped

• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

• 2 tablespoons salted butter

• 1 cup heavy cream

• 2 tablespoons powdered sugar

• 1 tablespoon KahlĂșa (or brewed espresso)

Vanilla Cream

• 1 cup heavy cream

• 1 tablespoon powdered sugar

• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. In a food processor, pulse the cookies and nuts into fine crumbs. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture holds together when pinched. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Chill.
    1. To make the pudding. In bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and the espresso powder. Stir in 1 cup milk.
    1. In a medium pot, combine the remaining 2 1/2 cups milk and the sugar over medium heat. Gently boil until the sugar dissolves, then add the chocolate milk mix. Cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens and is pudding-like, 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chopped chocolate, then the vanilla and butter.
    1. Pour the pudding into the prepared crust.
    1. Using an electric mixer, whip the cream, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and KahlĂșa until soft peaks form. Spread the chocolate cream over the pudding. Cover the pie and chill 4 hours or up to 5 days.
    1. When ready to serve, make the vanilla cream. Whip the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until soft peaks form. Spread the cream over the pie. If desired, top with chocolate curls. Slice and enjoy!

Complete Recipe

3 Likes

Not much of a pie (as a dessert) eater myself. However, I do have a soft spot for steak and kidney pies, and a pint of Guinness, or five.

2 Likes

I like most fruit pies, but I think Cherry is my favorite. Cream (or is it creme) pies, um, not so much.

1 Like

I’m making a Turkey Pot Pie for dinner with puff pastry :slight_smile:

We roasted off a Turkey the other day an now I’m freezing leftovers and figuring out other dishes 
 so I was inspired with today being pie day. I love a savory pie just as much a I do a fruity pie.

This will be pretty close to what I’ll be throwing together later, sans the peas. Someone doesn’t like them. :wink:

Turkey Pot Pie with Puff Pastry

Ingredients
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups hot chicken broth
1 1/2 cups diced potatoes
1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups diced cooked turkey
1 cup frozen peas
1 sheet pre-made puff pastry
1 large egg
1 tbsp cream or milk

Instructions

• Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven until foamy. Stir in carrots, celery and onions. SautĂ© for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
  • Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat all the vegetables. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
  • Over medium heat, slowly add one cup of hot chicken broth stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil (mixture will be very thick).
  • Add another cup of broth and stir until smooth and the mixture comes to a simmer. Repeat with remaining broth.
  • Reduce heat to low and add potatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are almost tender (this will depend on the size of your diced potatoes).
  • Preheat oven to 425°F.
  • Meanwhile prep the puff pastry dough if you have purchased unrolled. Dust your work surface with flour and roll pastry to 13″x9″ rectangle or large enough to overhang your casserole dish. Dough should be 1/8″-1/4″ thick.
  • Stir turkey and peas into the stew and adjust to taste with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a greased 12″x8″ or 2-quart equivalent casserole dish.
  • Drape rolled puff pastry over the casserole, pressing the overhang onto the edge of the dish.
  • Whisk egg and cream together in a small bowl and brush evenly over puff pastry.
  • Cut 6-8 slits in the puff pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and pastry is cooked through. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Complete Recipe

1 Like

My wife makes the best apple pie ever. And that’s not really hyperbole. Everyone that has it raves about it and tries to get the recipe. The main, fruity part is made with sour cream and it has this awesome brown sugar crumble top. Delicious.

1 Like

That does sound delicious! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

btw 
 the Turkey pot pie turned out great 
 but holy heck what a lot of work. Sooo much chopping and dicing LOL. But, it was worth it. We will finish up the pie today for dinner. I did have about two cups of left over filling so that might be going over some biscuits tomorrow :wink:

As a Brit, for me a pie should have a crust so the chocolate-mocha thing, although yummy, does not qualify.

When I was a meat eater I would have said a Steak and Ale Pie but these days my fave savoury pie might be Fish Pie, with a creamy sauce with dill and parsnips (which add a sweet nuttiness to the sauce).

Dessert pie would be a Christmas Mince Pie although I have been a fan of Cherry Pie since Twin Peaks first aired.

I’ve had steak and ale pie , with a side of bubble-and-squeak at a local “British” tavern. I put that in air quotes cuz the two Brits that ran it couldn’t get their Visa renewed for a really insane reason, so now it’s under new ownership. It’s gone downhill.

My favorite dessert pie is Raspberry. or is it strawberry rhubarb? Or maybe apple pie made with Northern Spy apples
?

Coconut Cream from Missy’s Pies in Lexington, KY. Best pies on the planet. Yummmmy!

2 Likes

This is good information. My wife is a pie fiend, and we are going to be in that vicinity in a few months.

2 Likes

Speaking of wives, my wife detests pie. I didn’t find out this unpleasant truth until after we were married.

1 Like

@Just-B How long have you been divorced?

I kid. But, how can one detest all pies? I mean, I would pick cobbler over most pies, and take pie over cake. But I don’t detest cake. I just prefer cobbler or pie.

1 Like

She will eat ice cream pie as long as it has a graham cracker crust, but any baked pies are off-limits for her. I don’t know why, but it’s okay because it means twice the pie for me. :grinning:

1 Like

Ha. Well, that’s true. You don’t have to worry about her eating your pie.

1 Like

Steve_O — Are you coming to the Lexington, KY area? If so, my wife and I would love to have lunch or dinner with you at Ramsey’s and indulge in one of Missy’s pies together. Send me a private message and I will give you my contact info.

1 Like

National Pie Day has passed. Today is National Mac Day.

1 Like

As in Mac & Cheese?

1 Like

@Just-B I wonder if the Mrs. had some sort of not so good childhood experience. I know my Mom once made a Cherry pie. She forgot to get pitted cherries.

Needless to say it took me a while to ever try cherry pie again :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Red,
Strange that you should be posting about pie
 I have been having a craving for Pumpkin Pie, but I haven’t found any vegan friendly pie brand, so I have been going without. In it’s place, I have been having vegan ice creams, cookies, and vegan Daiya brand New York Style Cheesecake
 but there is still a void of Pumpkin Pie.

Line

1 Like

@RedKittieKat My husband and I love that pie! We usually have to buy it from Adams Fairacre Farms BUT lately my husband has been trying his hand at baking.

I just showed him this recipe and fingers crossed he seems up to the task!! :two_hearts: Thanks for sharing!

1 Like