Having trouble developing a logo?

I’m doing a logo for a brand identy project for a restaurant called Fresco Mexico. The concept was to have a jalapeño pepper part of the M. But, I’m having a hard time cleaning it up. Im trying to make the logo it look clean.

if you can give me some tips on how to clean it up that would be great.

The black background is temporary I don’t know why that’s even there.

You need to go on youtube and look at some illustrator tutorials. I can see a lot of areas that look like a noobie at illustrator. Noone can teach you by just making posts on this forum and making a clean illustrator design depends on skill, knowledge and systematic approaches

1 Like

I’m obviously not that great at illustrator, but trying to get better.

yeah, courses on youtube are free and Udemy has sales for full lessons for $13. Take them, if you don’t practice right to begin with you won’t get any better

You need some practice using Illustrator’s pen tool. Here’s a video.

1 Like

use the pen tool in illustrator as Just-B mentioned
i had to create shapes like that in 1996 which took a while to learn.
keep practicing!
oh deadline, schmead-line ! get the graphic they way you want!

Illustrator has a variable width stroke tool that would make short work of that tail. You’d have to expand it after so that it becomes a solid shape rather than a single stroke.

It’s also good to remember that Illustrator can weld shapes together (Pathfinder tool is your friend) and that it will apply a stroked outline to a shape to the inside, on-center, or outside of the shape (in the stroke palette.)

1 Like

For the effects of the jalapeno I want to make it look grilled how do I that?

Work on making it a jalapeno first.
One step at a time.

ok, for the jalapeno pepper I did use the pen tool, but it still looks sloppy. How would I use the path-finder for this?

As well for the M?

I cannot tell you how to do it better.
You have to Practice.
The Pathfinder only works with shapes. Most objects are made of shapes. You have to make good shapes first, then combine them using the pathfinder to make them a single shape.

Here are Adobe’s basic tutorials. You may need to start there.
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/tutorials.html

What’s more, even if your M-pepper was executed impeccably, you’d probably still have to read my stupid and too-often repeated speech about how mutating type into pictures only results in a marketable logo about 1 time in every 1000 attempts, if you’re lucky.

Practicing such things while skills develop can be good; selling such things can be impossible, no matter the skill level. As you get better at the mechanical aspects of producing vector graphics, it can be tempting to try all sorts of frankensteinery. Be careful not to get so far inside your ideas that you over-commit your time and effort. In logo design, this is where the sketching phase delivers its value; if 5-10 of your 50-100 sketches are quick-and-dirty tries to make the M-pepper work, you can make a better decision as to its feasibility. Maybe you see you can’t pull it off, or maybe you come upon the one approach that makes it click. Either way, when you start taking client work, it won’t be long until you think you’ve just presented the most ingenious idea you’ve ever had, and the client says, “Umm, nuh-uh. What else you got?” Be ready for that.

2 Likes

Do you think I should omit the M, and do something less complex?

1 Like

You should do about 100 sketches. That may move you beyond some of your current ideas.
That doesn’t help your software skills.
Being a student of design, you can’t let the software limit your creativity. But first you have to have a solid concept to put into the software. Sketching helps with that. Then you don’t waste your time trying to make the software do something that’s going to turn out to be a poor concept anyway.

I agree I think I’ll do some more sketching, and how I can do it in illustrator.

The idea is NOT to use the software. That limits your creative process to what you know you can do on the software.
Pencil
Paper.
Or equivalent.

I manage to create the jalapeño pepper with the pen tool how do you create the grill effect?

Do you have a really good reason to add “effects” to a logo? A lot of times, less is better. You could maybe give it some minimal tapering lines to suggest grill lines, but don’t be using transparency effects to make fuzzy burn marks.