Hello from an Information and Graphic Designer

My name is Zach Moe, I’ve got about 10 years in the graphic and information design fields. I do a lot of infographics, animations, explainer videos and editorial design. I am a freelancer/contractor and am happy to have found this place. I’m here to add to some conversations, help where I can and meet some other designers in the process.

Cheers!
Zach

Welcome to the forum Zach. :grinning:

Hiya Zach!! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

Welcome Aboard!!! :slight_smile:

Welcome

Welcome to GDF! Hope you will enjoy your stay!

Hey Zach!

I see that this is an old post (about a year old now), but when I searched for the term “Information Design”, your introductory post was the only one on the topic. I can’t say I’m all that surprised - finding any solid information on “Information Design”, as a disciplinary field of design, has been a challenge for me.

I just wanted to send you a quick message to see if you were still an active member &/or still frequented this forum. One of my college courses this semester is “Information Design”. I have no doubt that several people within this forum could help me with any questions regarding the course or its lessons, but finding someone who specializes in Info Design was an unexpected & exciting bonus!

Hope to hear back, but no hard feelings otherwise! :wink:

I’ve always considered the term information design to be just a little awkward given that the design and communication of information is an important part of almost all graphic design. Information design, of course, can be separated out as a separate field of study — especially in a college course — but in practice, most of us are engaged in it to one extent or another and, if not, we should be.

More specifically, some of us have created lots of infographics. For example, I spent a couple of years working for a computer company creating technical illustrations. I also spent three or four years where much of my work was creating infographics for a daily newspaper. My guess is that if we asked, there would be several people here who have all the Edward Tufte books on information design.

I have a neighbor up the street I met while walking our dogs who is doing her PhD candidate work in what she described as information design at the local university. However, she’s in the computer science college and is exploring the graphical display and analysis of information obtained from data mining.

I suppose my point is that the term information design is so broad that most of us don’t use it much since it spills over into so much of what many of us do. In those instances where working professionals do use the term, it becomes so narrow that it seems to exclude most of us.

Similarly, I ran into someone who called herself a colorist. When I asked her what that meant, she explained that she was a designer who was specifically focused on the psychology of color. Like information design, color is an important part of graphic design, but few of us would list information designer or colorist on our resumes.

Is it weird that I consider the signage, experiential and environmental (as in the built environment) graphics market to be information graphic design?
Check this out:
https://segd.org/

Post your questions from your course. Chances are one of us here has some set of skills that can help you out.