Hello people

Ciao to everybody from Croatia!
I am in my early 30s, father of a 2 y.o. , a passionate fisherman and working in the travel industry since I was 14 y.o. I was never good at drawing but I always leaned towards design and computers.
Since I am sick and tired of my current job and all that goes with it ( working weekends, late-night shifts, barely have a time to be with my wife and child) I would love to switch the industry.

Fluent in English, excellent PC skills, and willing to learn to provide my family with a better lifestyle than we currently have. I’ve already been doing business cards, flyers, posters, vouchers (mostly canva a small amount of photoshop) + created and edited content in almost all companies I’ve been working. Everybody was very pleased with the results and mostly I was finally happy while doing it.

I am aware that this is a major step in my life since it requires a lot of sacrifices to be able to go through it but as they say, one step at the time.
I would love to share my previous works and get opinions from the people that have already established themselves in this industry.

Anyways, I wish you all the best and hopefully, I will manage to go through this transition (with your help) and finally enjoy the time I spend on a job.

:wave: :crossed_fingers:

Welcome to the forum Labraxx. Graphic design is a difficult field to break into, and I don’t know the realities of trying to do so in Croatia as opposed to here in the U.S. Here, a college/university degree has become the usual prerequisite, but it sounds like you’ve been having some luck in Croatia without that.

You mentioned Canva and Photoshop. Canva mostly provides simple solutions to simple design problems for non-designers. Photoshop is, as the name implies, mostly for photos. You didn’t mention vector drawing applications (like Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer) or layout applications (like Adobe InDesign or Affinity Publisher). If you’re serious about the business, you’ll need to learn them and incorporate them into your work. And that, of course, is in addition to just becoming the best designer you can be.

Good luck, and don’t hold back on asking questions here. :grinning:

Thank you for your kind welcome. As mentioned I got some experience in Photoshop but I intend to learn and work in all Adobe programs. At least here in Croatia I can see a trend in IT industry that employers put knowledge, hard work and willing to learn before higher degree. Since I managed to master DAW like FL STUDIO for ex without bigger trouble I intend to do so with ADOBE programs.
Anyway, thank you once again for your welcome!

Welcome Aboard!!! :slight_smile: