Hi Everyone

How fun is it, learning new programs. We use illustrator, In design and Photoshop a lot in my course.

Currently doing a short course in Dreamweaver which is a game changer compared to the other code writing apps.

How fun you get to learn that. I would like to know more about Dreamweaver. Hopefully when I get to a stage to learn web design. We did a term on Html and Css which was very challenging at first but then it got enjoyable.

Dreamweaver is a crutch. And the result isn’t always compliant code. If you are going to design websites with anything other than templates, you really should learn to code.
What Dreamweaver is useful for is its formatting. There it is definitely an aide.

1 Like

Speaking from many years experience as a web designer who can code (note - I am not a developer) and owner of a UK-based web design agency; Dreamweaver was good and used in the industry until about 2005. Now there is little use for it in the professional world - having a year of experience building Wordpress websites on a CV / resume is going to top any Dreamweaver qualification if I were looking to employ a web designer.
I’d recommend first of all skilling up on something like Wordpress so you understand how websites work, (avoid Wix / Weebly / Squarespace as they are drag and drop builders) then look at implementing custom code to give you the functionality you require, or modify the layout in a custom way. For Wordpress, you’ll need a little php, HTML, CSS and perhaps Javascript knowledge. Courses on Udemy will help you, and if you want to go down the development route, you’ll likely want to look in to React, Docker and a thousand other options!
Each coding language has its own benefit and drawbacks so choosing the right code is a bit like learning what language to speak before you visit a foreign country - Finnish has little use in Outer Mogolia.
This is in no way to discourage you from learning - far from it - it’s to help guide you and find the one that would work best for you.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, good to note to learn the basics of coding first then. And learn Wordpress. And still use Dreamweaver for formatting.

Thanks for that advice. Good to know coding is still important to know.

@yellowmoosedesign That is some really great advice. During this short course I have come to realise that Dreamweaver simply generates the code. A couple of years ago I learnt the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript so it was great to use what I already know and revisit things this week. I have also had past experience with Wordpress, I use that for a quick fast website when I don’t really have time to code. I have not coded any elements through Wordpress but I know how it works. Also you are spot on in saying it is like learning a new language. In the beginning it was frustrating when my code broke after forgetting one semi-colon but now I can really enjoy it. I am still looking to further my skills in Javascript though, that one kind of got away from me.

1 Like