How can I resize the image to fit A4 when printing without loss of quality

can’t put links here,what to do?

I’ve bumped up your user permissions by a notch, so you should be able to post links now.

1. The only way to get this image is from a screen dump therefore the guy who sent it is using a high res monitor

2. The image is more nearly square than A4 so if you want to fill the A4 without distortion make the short edge 210mm - the long age will fall short of 297mm and you will have some unfilled space on the A4

3. The image is made up of pixels therefore there is no way to enlarge it without loss of quality. The effect may be small. This can be mitigated by upping the resolution in PhotoShop or similar, but only up to a point.

1 Like

I couldn’t write since I was limited to 30 replies.
I sent you image that is ready for print with Photoshop,that is how I got it when I did scale to fit media option and it fited to left and right edge of paper but not top and bottom.
Can you resize that image from top to bottom edge and left to right to cover full sizesd A4 paper,without much loss of quality?
I followed you tutorial in creating A4 document then I upscaled the image with transform tool lifting it by all edges to cover A4 image beneath it,but all I got was disotorted image which was some how elongated.

Nope.The image looks like rectangle not square,it would be good if it was square,easier to print.
I did print screen with 3200x1800 rez laptop,and I got images like this…because with screen cap on that laptop I got decent dpi(ppi).
It really doesn’t need to cover all A4 if that is impossible,but more then it’s original image resolution which covers middle of the paper when printed out.
So I assume only way is via transform tool in Photoshop,right?

Yesterday, you sent me a private message with your image. I rotated the image, pasted it into an A4-sized Photoshop document, enlarged it to the maximum size it could be within that document and sent you back a PNG, which is the format of your original.

So to answer your question, no, it is not possible to take a long, skinny image and completely fill an A4 sheet of paper with that image without stretching and distorting the image unless you’re OK with stretched out type that looks and reads terribly.

If that’s what you really want, though, I’ll send it to you, but it might be this evening before I can get to it. However, if you have Photoshop, it should be a simple matter for you to stretch it to fit yourself.

oh okay yes.
So there is no program which can automatically scale this image to desired resolution without distorting an image?
I thought Topaz gigapixel would do it,but it seems impossible.
I don’t get it how that guy captured resolution,ideal for A4 printout.
Want me to send that image too,so you can look at it?
Thanks for your help and explanation.

This is an exercise in futility…
Just sayin’

2 Likes

Resolution is only one problem you’re facing. The other problem is that your image’s proportions aren’t the same as those of an A4 sheet of paper, so you’d need to stretch and distort the image to fit.

There is no program that can perform the impossible.

There is. It’s called Easy Button. I don’t have it though.

1 Like

Seems so.I thought Topaz Gigapixel can enlarge photos as advertized.

One of the reasons this has been confusing is because of how you’re mixing terms.

1754 x 1240 are the dimensions. Some would say “pixel dimensions”. That’s because, with pixels as the unit of measure, the dimensions of the image are literally 1754 pixels x 1240 pixels.

Mathe-mechanically, the concept of “pixel dimensions” is unresolved because the pixel is not a constant, and is therefore not a reliable unit of measure. Pixels come in different sizes, and a greater or lesser number of pixels can occupy the same area. That’s the reason that, in addition to dimensions, an image is defined by resolution. Resolution dictates the size at which the image resolves.

To demonstrate that simply, consider the image of 1754 pixels x 1240 pixels at a resolution of 1 pixel per inch (1 ppi). Its dimensions at that resolution would be 1754 inches x 1240 inches.

Now double the resolution to 2 ppi and the dimensions become 877 inches by 620 inches.

So you see dimensions and resolution have an inverse relationship.

The other issue, it seems, is aspect ratio. A rectangle’s aspect ratio is the relationship between its height and its width. An A4 sheet of paper has an aspect ratio of 1 : 1.414. That is, its longer side is 1.414 times the length of its shorter side. If the objective is to fit an image to an A4 sheet, the image must be of the same aspect ratio. If the image is not the same aspect ratio, there are 2 scaling options:

1. Stretch the image proportionately (aspect ratio maintained) so that its shorter dimension covers the A4’s shorter dimension, then crop off whatever excess image hangs past the longer dimension.
  2. Stretch the image disproportionately to fit the A4 sheet, allowing its content to be distorted accordingly. (This would be a distortion, although I don’t see consistent use of that word in your posts; there may be instances of inadequate resolution [loss of visual quality] referred to as ‘distortion’.)
3 Likes

there is a genie lamp floating in the hudson river i can fed-ex to who ever needs to re-crop the image size

1 Like

It would be easier to just cut the darn paper to fit the graphic.

2 Likes

Oh, dang, that was funny.

1 Like

OK,then.
I could cut down the paper top edge or bottom edge…
Just tell me what resolution should I make when transforming image so I can cut down the paper.

This is too funny.

1 Like

There is this company that started making 3-d printers just for this task, these printers are made-to-order for any size, resolution and paper type the buyer wishes. the company “BakedMoon” operates out of Utopia, Kansas and has started producing customs printers on April 31, 2020.
I wish i could ad a link but my internet is not working for me today.

Thank you PrintDriver. You just saved the day.

pass:photoshopCC2020
Guys what am I doing wrong? :face_with_hand_over_mouth: