Howdy!

Hello you fine folks- I’ve been reading and enjoying the posts by Print Driver, Kittie, B, and others for years, (the early 2000s) but never posted. I’m not a graphic designer, but I did take some classes back in the days of Letraset and studied art in school. I did some layout work in Quark, mostly directories, and newsletters and always had enough sense to know when to turn something over to a pro. I work with some “designers,” and when there is a problem, I am usually able to find the answer here. So a big thank you for all the help you have provided to various projects and my sanity. Love this spiffy set you have now.

1 Like

Well, it’s about time you actually signed in and started saying something. :wink: :grinning:

Better late than never, though. I too date back to the good old days of Letraset and rubdown type. It seems sort of amazing that we ever set type that way, but it was an everyday thing.

2 Likes

What a sweet thing to say Esme :slight_smile: I too am from the Letraset and French Curves era. I still have a very old set :slight_smile:

I was the weirdo who could pour over the catalog for hours. I would get so excited when I got one :smiley:

Nothing compares to that tactile sensation of carefully rubbing off each delicious letter. A feeling that’s sorely lacking with the digital world we live in today.

2 Likes

Oh yeah? I still have about half a dozen burnishers of various degrees of condition. And a wax machine that I don’t know what to do with.

2 Likes

I finally ended up throwing away much of this kind of thing, like waxers and sheets of Letraset (all with most of the vowels missing). I still have one Chartpak burnisher around here somewhere, along with a few triangles, French curves, compasses, ruling pens, a set of Castell technical pens, two or three Paasche airbrushes, metal pica rulers, croppers and proportion wheels.

Someday, I’ll likely throw away most of these things too, but several of these things are just too cool and well-made to just toss into the trash. Besides, I still use some of them for various things from time to time.

3 Likes

Don’t throw them out … trust me … one day they will be a treasure to someone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be nifty if one day we hold a collective GDF garage sale?

1 Like

That would be fab! :smiley:

Me too. I can’t part with them. And loved buying those Dover books and tons of white-out, lol!

1 Like

Don’t throw it away! One day, it will become fashionable to do things the old way, just as letterpress has had a comeback. You will be able to sell it for gobs of money and retire! :smile:

1 Like

Anyone remember using an xacto knife to cut down letters? Carefully cut the stem off a lower case “h”, turn it upside down and voila!.. burnish the missing “u”. I used to do that kind of thing a lot. Then use a really fine point Rapidograph pen to touch up. :slight_smile:

1 Like