How's your weather?

Here, it’s 74° F and cloudy, which is unusual. I checked a couple of days ago, and for the past month, the average high daily temperature here was 100° F.

I don’t like it that hot, but I get accustomed to it. After a prolonged stretch of high temperatures, 80° seems almost like jacket weather.

Hot and dry is okay. We’re pretty close to 70% humidity. I walk outside and immediately break a sweat. Good thing the yard is dead. I don’t have to do the lawn and can sit here in the cellar with the cats. I’d rather be on the boat though

Yeah, the humidity is the big difference between where you and I live. Here, the average humidity on a hot summer day is, perhaps, thirty-some percent. We rarely get a good rainstorm in the summer, and when that happens, the humidity goes up, but the temperatures come down, so it’s never an issue.

Here in Utah’s valleys, there’s never enough rain to grow anything except sagebrush and other high desert plants. We get all our water from snow melt from the adjacent mountains, where there’s usually enough winter precipitation to keep things irrigated in the valleys during the following summer.

All our gardens, lawns, farmland, city trees, etc., must be regularly irrigated, or they die. I have a lawn where I’ve set the sprinkler timers to water twice a day. Anything less, and it dries up and dies. Nobody here has rain barrels because there’s never enough rain to fill a barrel.

I’ve never lived anywhere other than in a desert, so are you saying that you and your fellow New Englanders depend almost exclusively on rain to keep things green? Couldn’t you have watered your garden and lawn with a hose for a few days? These are stupid questions, but my always having lived in an area where irrigating is a regular, daily summer chore, depending on Mother Nature to keep things green seems a bit magical.

They irrigate farms here. Most have wells. I pay town water. Nope. Plus, I think watering a lawn is…uh…wasteful. My lawn is an interesting combination of crabgrass, clover, violets and other things. The front lawn has two big thirsty oak trees under it and is pretty dead compared to the back.

Weird thing about the crabgrass, it is the only thing alive in the front lawn and every morning, without rain, it always has dew on it. Someone should study that. LOL!

I can’t remember last when the rain barrels went dry. Usually it is fine. It’s been a good 3 weeks, maybe 4 since a good day of rain. “Scattered showers” don’t cut it. I don’t have much in the garden anyway. Not enough to make a dent in my grocery bill. :laughing:

1 Like

Hot and humid.

I went on a bike ride this morning. Over a 2.5 hour ride, I lost 4 pounds … and that’s while drinking 3 bottles or water, 2 bottles of Gatorade, and eating some snacks.

1 Like

It’s been so hot for so long and very little rain - things are looking rather crispy. Some trees have already started changing.

This is going into effect on Friday:

I’m shocked they didn’t implement it before now.

I just checked the outdoor thermometer. It says 99° F. In a normal year, the temperatures would have cooled down into 80s by the first of Sept, but this year isn’t normal.

In Salt Lake, we’ve been under a save water request all summer due to the long-term drought affecting the western U.S. The Great Salt Lake is a small fraction of its size from 30 or 40 years ago.

We have mandatory watering restrictions at my other place in the rural south-central part of the state. The lawn can be watered once per week at night from the city’s agricultural irrigation system — just enough to keep it alive in a brownish dormant state. With only about 13 inches of precipitation each year (the biggest majority of it in the winter as snow) there’s never enough rainfall in a normal year to keep a lawn watered without regular sprinklers.

This year, the city creek is dry, the ponds are empty, the reservoirs are drained, the river that runs through the valley is nothing but a trickle, and the crops are looking pretty bad. It’s turning into a climate disaster and getting worse year by year.

1 Like

Ugh. I just looked at the forecast for the next few days. The weather people are projecting record high temperatures for all of them.

Aaaah, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!
Oh wait…could that be…rain?

1 Like

Same here. Been raining all day lightly and now it’s a good, soaking rain. It’s the most rain we have had all Summer I think :flushed:

The thermometer outside our bedroom window says 102° F. Considering it’s the first week of September and we’re edging right up against autumn, these temperatures are totally nuts. These are Phoenix temperatures and are not at all normal for Salt Lake.

1 Like

That’s so crazy! It’s got to break soon for you :frowning:

I hope.

That would be tough to be well into September and still have triple digits on the thermometer. We’re in a fairly normal weather pattern for late summer – low to upper 80s.

That sucks @Just-B, I hope you get some relief. We are in the low to mid 90s, with an occasional high 90 day, which is pretty normal for us this time of year.

This is crazy!

Hopefully you can hole up inside in some AC until it all passes. I mean, I know it’s not fun to be indoors so much, but hopefully the weather gets back to normal soon.

Here, although we needed it, it has started raining and feels distinctly autumnal. Happened almost overnight on September 1st. Very depressing I am not ready for summer to end just yet.

Such a gloomy day we’re having! No coffee can help today.

1 Like

It looks like the weather got the memo that Thursday was the first day of fall. We can have some temperature swings in the Midwest, but I’m not sure I remember it ever going from 98 to 69 in two days.

1 Like

It did that a few times over the Summer here in Upstate NY.

Even now … it’s been low 50’s even hitting 40 one morning then up to 80’s in the afternoon. But, yesterday and today were low 60’s and lots of rain. I think Mother Nature is just throwing darts at temps these days :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like