How's your weather?

No aircon in most (99%+) homes here so we just sat inside eating ice cream lol. It was fiercely hot though. I work from home and I thought my Mac might overheat, but it coped ok. Fans noisy at one point.

This was Tuesday - the average for July here is 71f and the previous record was 97f in July 2019. Today is a lot cooler.

That sounds miserable. Iā€™m glad that it is cooling down and returning to a more normal level.

Yeah, 103Ā° without air conditioning would be tough.

absolutely. A few weeks back when one of my 2 AC units died, we hit 105 and the one unit helped keep the house at about 80 and I was pretty miserable. I canā€™t imagine what it would have been without.

I will never understand why Mr. Willis H. Carrier (founding father of Carrier Global) never received the Nobel Peace Prize.

Last Sunday, it reached 107Ā° F here in Salt Lake, tying the record. Our air conditioning is underpowered. It keeps up with the heat until it reaches about 95Ā°. After that, the temperature in the house rises accordingly.

Four or five years ago, we got estimates on replacing the two central air-conditioning units. The cost was outrageously high. We decided we could deal with July each year by augmenting what we have with a couple of window air conditioners ā€” one for the bedroom and the other for the studio.

Between our sub-zero winters and triple-digit summers, I would move, but Mrs. Just-B wonā€™t do it. Our next-door neighbors spend most of each summer and winter in Maui, Hawaii, where the temperatures rarely vary by more than a few degrees. Iā€™d gladly retire there, but againā€¦

Iā€™d prefer to retire in the Caribbean, without the hurricanes. But, ugh, I hear you.

Iā€™ve never been to the Caribbean, but Iā€™m sure one of the islands would suit me just fine. :grinning:

If I moved to Hawaii, it would be to the Big Island. Ohauā€™s too crowded. Maui seems like southern California. Kauai gets too much rain.

The Big Island is just right and varied ā€” rural; relaxed; a few small cities, lots of space; rarely rains on the dry side; always rains on the wet side; warm sunny beaches; and a couple of 13,000-ft mountains to keep things interesting.

Never mind that some of those mountains used to be volcanoes. Talk about ā€˜interesting.ā€™ :scream:

Hawaiian volcanos only spew rivers of lava in specific locations. The big cones have been extinct or dormant for thousands of years. Iā€™d be willing to take my chances. :thinking:

We drove to the top of Mauna Kea once, and it was spectacular ā€” nothing but sky, clouds below and above, volcanic rock, views of the Pacific miles below, and some of the largest telescopes in the world.

I think we are in reaching that heat wave cycle others have been going through. Itā€™s hot. Well over 90Ā° the past few days and they are saying it will break 100Ā° by Sunday.

It feels kinda hot for me (+34C)

Our main shops are not air conditioned. Sucks.

Weā€™ve been girding our loins all week for our first 100 degree day. (real not index) There have been warnings all over everything. Now they are saying it ā€œmightā€ get to 95Ā° with an index of 102Ā°. The humidity it already thick enough to cut out there. I wonā€™t miss 100Ā° but it sure wonā€™t be pleasant.
The humidity has been so bad around here we need the AC running even when actual temp would be bearable with fans. My power bill last month was triple :flushed:

For that alone I canā€™t wait for Fall LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

(this is sort of me)

It has been toasty around here this summer. Personally, Iā€™ll take hot and sunny over the cold and gray that is typically January and February in the Midwest.

2 Likes

Hey, hey! This is a family forum.

1 Like

Toronto has been reasonably mild, but I donā€™t want to jinx it.

1 Like

She coulda said, ā€œHitch up yer drawers.ā€
Kinda the same. Sorta.

1 Like

Ok, done with the heat hereā€¦It isnā€™t even pleasant out in the boat on the lake. Worse actually cuz, sun.

Given up on keeping the garden alive (actually that was weeks ago when the rain barrels ran out.)

1 Like

I hear ya. Itā€™s very ā€¦ how shall I say it ā€¦ ā€œthickā€ā€¦ out there. Iā€™m so over it :frowning: