I hate …

Now we can add they is and they’s.

In rural Utah, where I grew up, thems could sometimes be heard. “Thems cows is shure a bellerin’ fer a milkin’.”

Loves me a thorough milkin’.

LOL :smiley: That’s been used by our rural folks for decades :wink:

I was actually referring to gender-neutral reference. Much as I’d like to think of myself as liberal-minded, the language-nazi in me cannot wrap my mind around the numerical contradictions, and the subsequent numbers jokes.

“Laura is well dressed. They is smart and they’s stubborn.”

Correction: “They” will follow the plural convention.

“Laura is well dressed. They are smart and they’re stubborn.”

A phrase often heard in my corner of the UK; ‘not we’ meaning, and standing for, ‘couldn’t we’ or without the contraction, ‘could we not’.
Sometimes contractions are better and sometimes an eccentric vernacular alternative actually makes more sense.
[EDIT] This phrase is common in one half of a medium sized city and AFAIK completely unknown elsewhere.

1 Like

… Corporate Speak. Well, not really hate – just a source of amusement.

1 Like

… commercials that are witty, funny, creative, artistic, but at the end you don’t know or remember what they are selling, or the names of the product brands.

1 Like

Man, I hate these words.

2 Likes

… stupidity or, rather, having that and not knowing it.

I don’t exactly hate this. I save that emotion for things like Nazis, serial killers, and centipedes.

However, the EST. 2021 (or whatever) dates trend-conscious newbie designers gratuitously add to their logos annoy me to no end. Most of the time, the type is too small to read anyway, but they put it there as some sort of ritualized process to be cool and hipsterish. It might have been fine in the 1890s, but today, nope.

1 Like

EST. 2021
OOB. 2021

Probably

2 Likes

Nothing says “Hey, I’ve never done this before” than “EST. 2021”

1 Like

Sometimes, when I’m reviewing a proof from a printer, I’ll spot a little thing I’d like to change. It’s not a typo or wrong information or anything that would cause the job to have to be reprinted — those would definitely call for a “stop the press” moment. What I’m talking about is little stuff. For example, maybe there is a line break that could have been better. Do you go to the client and tell them the job is going to be delayed and that there will be additional EPP time for a nitpick? I suppose that in the grand scheme of things, this doesn’t rise to the level of “hate,” but it does bug me.

1 Like

Oh no, those little things that will become permanent regrets to only me are the worst! I never forget them. Somehow, I write off bigger things more easily.

I still have horrid, PTSD-inducing memories of minuscule drumming mistakes while gigging with cover bands 40 years ago in the 1980’s; tiny things that no one else could have noticed and moments that surely dissolved as quickly as they materialized, for everyone else that is. This is squarely in “I HATE” territory.

2 Likes

Here’s how I look at it — probably because it was drilled into my head by art directors early in my career. It’s also what I tell my clients.

Printer proofs aren’t the time to make nitpicky changes since they typically incur a charge from the printer. Instead, printer proofs are primarily for catching printer-related errors, like font glitches and RIP errors. These proofs are the printer’s way of getting a signature to absolve them of financial liability for mistakes that the client should have caught. Nitpicky things should have been caught and fixed before sending the job to the printer.

The final results are never perfect. There will always be room to improve everything. There reaches a point when it’s too late, and at that point, there’s no point in concerning oneself with what’s too late to change.

All that said, once something is printed, I never look too closely at it. I might quickly glance at it and thumb through it, but I never look too closely. The reason is that if I do, I’ll invariably find one of those nitpicky little things that I’ll never unsee.

1 Like

I just give them the option.

It’s free to leave it
It costs x amount to fix .

1 Like

It should be common knowledge by now.

From the same people who think freelancers are free.