I wish my clients knew

I wish my clients knew that just because you prefix a work request with, “This will be easy,” does not make it so.

4 Likes

Same for, “this shouldn’t take long”

2 Likes

I’ve always interpreted both those sentences as another way of saying, “I don’t want to pay you much.”

7 Likes

I’m salaried and I still hear that crap. Clients feel it excuses the fact that they’re dumping a rush job on me. “I need this for a meeting in an hour, but it shouldn’t take you long.” “I need this tomorrow morning, but I started it in Word for you, so it shouldn’t take you long.”

2 Likes

Last week I received a request for a bid on a 36-page booklet. He said that the majority of work has already been done because they have a new logo and map and 30% of the pages will be taken by advertisers creating their own ads, all I have to do is place them. Right.

4 Likes

Had a client wanted a printout of artwork for a calendar - she was aware that the pages she supplied were very high res but wanted to wait;
‘Got the first one out and it took 10 minutes . . .’
‘Oh good this won’t take long then’
’ . . . so it will take about 2 hours’
‘Wait what? Why so long?’
‘Well there’s 12 pages, 10 minutes each . . .’

1 Like

So you wish your clients knew . . . simple math?

1 Like

I wish a lot of people knew simple math! LOL :smiley:

1 Like

… the difference between raster/vector. I’ve probably wasted hours at this point explaining the differences!

… my time line starts AFTER I receive all support material, not before.

4 Likes

Maths are hard. I wish my clients would learn to subtract the time it takes to print something from their file due date. The machines only spew ink so fast, it takes a relatively long time for a printhead to travel 16’ to do just one single pass …sometimes there aren’t enough hours in the day.
The video below is in real time.
If you watch carefully you’ll see the forward step of the media.
(Not a promo. I don’t run one of these. It was hard finding a video of a 5m machine running actual speed.)

2 Likes

Wow! :flushed:

That’s mesmerizing. I’d be in a trance all day if I was the operator.

I wish my clients knew that if you send a Word file as artwork, it WILL reflow.

Pagemaker is not the norm.

I wish all clients knew that graphic design software doesn’t work like this:

Interface

11 Likes

I want that software.

3 Likes

…just what the hell they are doing to my sanity.

Their press date deadlines.

… that being a micromanager is obnoxious.

1 Like