I wish my clients knew

GIGO.

Garbage is garbage after I whatever whatever it’s still garbage.

2 Likes

I wish my clients knew about the benefits of being on first page of Google, so I could spend more time creating websites than explaining to them :slight_smile:

P.S. my clients are small and medium size business owners (over 40 yo)

I wish my clients could give me some sort of direction at the start of the project. So when I spend hours building multiple mocks ups based on vague goals, they don’t say, “That’s not what I was looking for.”

I’ve added a spin-off thread to this topic.

I wish my clients knew that is not possible to do a brand guideline in 2 weeks

You’re lucky to have clients sophisticated enough to understand the importance of even having brand guidelines. :wink:

2 Likes

There are a lot of printers who use shady techniques to create bleed.

I actually got artwork where the “artist” just copied and pasted his entire design 4 times to move each underlying layer up, down. left or right. The file was over 300MB.

OMG yes! The worst is when someone says “It’ll be easy. Just change the size of the label a little.”

If the designer properly pulled their bleeds, printers wouldn’t have to resort to “shady” tactics to get the bleed. Copy/pasting like that is especially dumb. In a case like what you just described, we’d contact the “artist” and ask them if we could enlarge the design or if they wanted to rework the file. If not…? <shrug, push button.>

Yeah, we would never print those as sent. Our SOP on “bad bleeds” is to send the art back.

In general though, if it’s easily fixable (a simple gradient, color, or something clone-able/patchable in psd), I’ll fix it the right way and make a note on the proof. Often that’s just faster than sending it back (and you don’t get the pressmen in a bad mood by delaying a job they’ve already scheduled press time for).

We get a lot of “well THEY printed it like this”…

Funny game

hahaha true…

Any sentence that starts with “I don’t know much about art…”
should NEVER be followed by with
“…but I know what I like.”

I wish that some of the printers knew that. Last time I printed a catalog the printer decided to “fit to page” the bleed on the front cover

if you cut something out from a photograph the background does not magically wait underneath of the object that you took out

I wish my boyfriend would quit pretending he doesn’t know THAT.

I try to avoid asking clients which they like best or which is okay.

My view is that they hire me for my recommendations. They might disagree and make convincing arguments about preferring one idea over the other. But if I showed clients two or three ideas, then asked them which is okay, it would imply that I wasn’t sure myself and that I needed their help in deciding what they hired me to recommend.

Instead, I tell clients what I recommend and how it solves the problem, then I listen to how they respond.

2 Likes

The A or B thing can be anything though. When we order out for lunch and I ask my coworker if they want mayo or mustard on their sandwich and they answer “yes,” they get both. :smiling_imp:

Today’s pet peeve is people who don’t read past the first question. When we do bids, we have a period of time we can ask questions. If you don’t line space between questions, they only read the first one. I’ve taken to line-spacing AND bulleting each sentence.

Yes! I work with people who are highly intelligent — intimidatingly so — yet it happens over and over with some; they expose themselves as having somehow missed the most important things written in email exchanges, proposals, specifications, etc. The only thing worse, and thankfully it’s rare, is when they seem unaware of something they themselves wrote.