In desperate need of feedback on booklet

Hi, I made a booklet for a company that hosted an event where older people talked in groups about the future/living together in retirement homes and inclusivity. There were also illustrators present to make drawings during the discussions and this book is a sort of resume/recap of the event, with quotes divided into different topics from what the participants said. In the beginning there is a part of a speech by a local politician and a poem. I was wondering if I could get feedback on the design?

Some info about myself: I studied graphic design but Iā€™m not working as a graphic designer at this company (I do public work and social media) but once in a while I can do some graphic assignments like these. So I wasnā€™t hired as a graphic designer but would like to work more as a professional designer in the future. All feedback is welcome, thanks!

ps: since i canā€™t upload pdf, I made jpg spreads. Maybe itā€™s not completely clear this way but I donā€™t know how else I can show it. I couldnā€™t upload the back cover but itā€™s just orange. Format is A5. The order is top Left, top right, bottom left, bottom right.

Cover: I really like the illustration and type. Iā€™m not sure if you did that or an illustrator. Either way, nice job. The only comment Iā€™d make would be to work on the letterspacing of VooR. It looks like you could move the lower case ā€œoā€ characters closer together.

2/3 Spread: This isnā€™t doing too much for me. Maybe itā€™s because I canā€™t read whatever language that is, but Iā€™d have to say you could get a little more creative with the copy and space.

General Note on Spreads: Iā€™m not crazy about the gradient in the gutters. Iā€™m guessing you did that to break up the pages. Personally, I prefer having opposite pages on a spread in set in a color like you did on 12/13 spread. Granted, the illustrations need a white background, but where you can run a solid background color on a page, I would.

General Note on Type: First thing that jumps out at mean is that the quotes should have hanging quote marks. If you donā€™t know what that is, look it up. That would go a long way towards making this look more professional. Really pay attention to the right rag / where lines break ā€” especially with short, display copy like this. I think this could be cleaned up quite a bit. I wouldnā€™t mind see the size of the type vary a bit from spread to spread to add some visual interest.

All of that said, not a bad effort for someone who isnā€™t a working designer.

The cover is made by myself so thanks a lot! Also for your other feedback, I find it very useful.
I didnā€™t know about the hanging quote marks, but I will definitely apply it :slightly_smiling_face: Also for the right rags, I find it hard to make it look good sometimes but I agree that it still needs some work. I can be a bit hesitant to experiment/play with type because of some fear of making mistakes (or making it ā€˜badā€™) but I agree with you that it can use some more ā€˜lifeā€™ or variation so I will definitely use and apply your tips :slight_smile:

Here is an example of one of your paragraphs with a hanging quote and more attention paid to the line breaks. In my opinion, the lower paragraph is the better looking of the two.

2 Likes

I agree, thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like