Just a small town girl

Hi everyone,

My name is Brooke and I’m just a high school student trying to learn more about the design world. I had been reading on the forum without an account for a couple days, and I was so intrigued I had to hop on. At the moment I’m looking to make some form of design my career, so I’d love to learn humbly from the huge amount of knowledge and experience here! Thanks in advance.

:wave:

1 Like

Hi, RiverB. I’m glad you found us and signed up. :grinning:

Hiya River!!

Welcome Aboard!! :slight_smile:

birds9

1 Like

If you are just a small town girl, are you living in a lonely world?

If so, don’t stop believing. Hold on to that feeling.

2 Likes

I was sure hoping someone would get it!

Hi Brooke! I fell in love with graphic design when I was your age. That was about 20 years ago. Design has changed a lot in those years and I’m sure by the time you are my age, it will be unrecognisable.

I’m sure of it! Although quite the bit of the GD world is a wonderful mystery to me, I can only assume lots of change is coming. Thank you for the warm welcome!

Midnight train going anywhere now boarding…

Welcome

1 Like

This whole topic just goes on and on and on and on. :musical_note:

3 Likes

Can’t get past the smell o’ wine and cheap perfume.

3 Likes

Does your school have a newspaper, magazine/newsletter, or yearbook that is staffed by students? If so, I recommend joining the layout team so you can get some hands-on experience working with the software.

Welcome!

Yes! I’m signed up for a digital design class next year that eventually leads to the yearbook program. I’m excited to learn a little bit more about the software, and I have the opportunity to get Adobe certified.
Question: Would you say investing time in getting certified is useful? At face value I would say yes, but you all probably have more knowledge than I.
Thank you all for the warm welcomes and funny comments! :grin:

What you might learn getting the certification will be useful. As for getting a job, an Adobe certification is not likely to be the reason why someone hires you over someone with equal time in the field and a similar portfolio. Graphic design is more of an artistic creative skill than a technical skill.

Agreed. It’s what you learn, not necessary your certifications. (Though I do have a bachelor’s degree in art and a master’s degree in design, both of which taught me a TON.)

That makes sense. I plan on going through with it anyway, figured it would be a good learning experience.

Welcome!

Greetings RiverB. Glad to see more web designers from around the eara. I’m here to affiliate with those who like promoting artistics. Let me know if you’re good with coloring, won’t advertise the link to the site here though, send a message and I should reply in a few, holler!