Logo Design for a Cluster Mailbox Company

Was your use of the words “crowdsource amateurs” not meant to imply that I am one? Is that meant to insult? I expected mature dialogue, not you looking down your nose at me. Secondly, the words are what was requested by the individual. I couldn’t shorten it like HP or IBM.

I don’t live in the U.S., so tax returns really don’t apply to me. As much as I understand what you’ve said about crowdsourcing, have you considered that I may not have any opportunity or choice?

Okay. Thank you. Do the proportions seem off to you though?

As I already explained, it wasn’t meant as an insult, but if you took it as one, then for your purposes, it was one, it seems.

If you didn’t know how the pros on this forum regard crowdsourcing, now you do. Generally, it’s safe to say that the people on both sides of those transactions don’t get much respect here, pretty much automatically. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Well, the overall proportions are compact and rectangular, which is good from the standpoint of the logo being flexible. I’m not sure if that’s what you were asking, though.

Like I mentioned, some of the first things I’d change about the logo are things you’re not in a position to do anything about or even mention, like the name or the taglines that don’t really mean anything. If it were me working directly with a client, I’d take this in a more abstract direction since a literal or stylized depiction of cluster mailboxes doesn’t lend itself to many interesting possibilities. But you’re sort of stuck due to the nature of the contest.

Even so, one thing I might do is to keep the name of the company separate from the logo, like the one below that I just grabbed off the internet. It’s a little hard to explain, but coming up with a separate typographical arrangement for the name that can be positioned in various ways adjacent to the logo often helps.

Having more than one “lock-up” gives a client the flexibility to use the one that works best for the job at hand. It also mitigates the awkwardness of trying to somehow make the type integral to the logo itself. In addition, it provides the opportunity for the client to completely separate the logo from the typography and use it independently when needed or, for that matter, to use the logotype separately.

Despite the built-in crowdsourcing limitations, there are still ways to go with this that could work. The options are really limited, but it still might be doable. There’s no way to mind-read a crowdsourcing client, though.

People often assume Graphic Designers make things look good.

Which is true in one sense however there is a lot more thought, critical thinking and research put into decisions. These aspects are fundamentally missing from crowdsourcing sites such as fiver.

Often times, clients think they know what’s best but if they really did…why cant they do it themselves? Time? Money? Not skilled in graphic software? Graphic Designers arent artists or order takers. On the contrary they are thinkers and problem solvers. That’s why clients should come to us - and not just for execution of half thought out whims. (which is what crowdsourcing provides…although sometimes money is money)

Good work can be done and its only just begun. You still have a lot to learn and the first step was asking for critique and feedback. While it may not go in the direction you have imagined there is a wealth of knowledgeable people here. If you want a step up above your peers or competition in your region stick around, and learn from your feedback (read & lurk). Post more critiques and get down to the nitty-gritty of design.

1 Like

You just said people who engage in crowdsourcing transactions automatically don’t get much respect here. You practically indirectly admitted. Anyways, is it okay to automatically treat someone with disrespect as long as you think you have the moral high ground? What if a super religious person comes in here and starts speaking down to you because you’re an atheist? What if you’re black and someone decides they can treat you with disdain or however they’d like because they are the ‘superior race’? Is respect not a two-way street? During the course of my life, I have interacted with persons who absolutely demand to be respected, but they have no issue with disrespecting someone purely on the notion that they have the moral high ground. Ironic, huh?
download (1)

They would be gone … and you are treading on that line.

You came in here … to a professional site. Folks here have worked long and hard learning their craft. They don’t do it for free … or nearly free. If you want to … great. Have a blast. But, do not expect anyone here to give you props for it. It’s a put down to the profession and it’s just using you. If you don’t understand that, there isn’t much else we can say. With that I’m closing this because I’ve heard enough. I think you get the idea.

Otherwise … Have a super day!

4 Likes