Logo design

Hello everyone.
I have a client whose business is selling fitness equipment (treadmills) and he wants a logo. He said he wants it to be sporty.I made him these logos:

He replied by this:

How would you act in like this situation?

I would love to give you a little constructive feedback, please keep in mind that i am not better than you and i am not trying to put you down, the logos do not seem sporty to me as well, also the client seemed unhappy with the results and wanted you to recreate something like the Lego Logo, I see that there is a lot of misunderstandings and communication problems, my advice to you is whenever you work with someone Online, bear in mind that you have to ask as much questions as possible to understand what the client wants, sometimes they do have a logo that they’d like to get inspired from, and if you do not ask they’ll keep telling you that your designs are not good enough for them.
Most of clients do not give you the freedom to make your design the way you think will work best for their business, they do not need your branding skills, they just want a mere logo.
Most of them think that they know better than the designer and just wants you to make what they have in mind come to life, so for your own good i suggest to ask questions before starting on a project as it will just waste your time to make different logos for no reason.
Also try to be a bit professional when talking to a client, if they say they’re not happy with the design, ask them if they have any logo in mind that they’d like you to make (…), saying (LOL) and getting defensive will not get you anywhere, try to have a thick skin and do not get offended if someone tells you that they do not like your designs, this will just make you a better graphic designer and you’ll understand clients better.
So the conclusion is if a client wants something just make that thing, it does not matter if you think it will work or not, that will not change their point of view, they paid money and they expect you to make their dream logo come to life.
I am sorry for writing a lot, try to get a thick skin and good luck in your future projects :heart:

1 Like

Sorry, but I have strongly disagree with that statement in every way. Naturally, you have to be as diplomatic as you can, but it is not our job to make pretty stuff for clients. Our job is to communicate their ideas visually and quite often there is a mismatch between what they think they want and what will work for them. A far chunk of our job is education. Of course there has to be compromise. The client has to like it. It is, after all, going to be the flag they stand behind – a representation of the values and ethics of their business intended to attract people who require their services.

However, if a client is heavily into, say dungeons and dragons and personally they love a gothic vibe, but they run a flower shop. Would you really just give them their dream logo?

You have to be clever about it and explain why that won’t work, but without being confrontational. If we are supposed to understand how to communicate thoughts, ideas and emotions visually, it’s a poor show if we can’t do that actually with our clients.

I think, Rami, you definitely have to take their thoughts on board and adapt what they are thinking to something that will work. Of course the lego brand is way off the mark, but look what they are saying. They want a sense of energy and dynamism. Perhaps even fun from it. Read between the lines. To an extent, I agree with your client, you initial presentations are a little static. This is equipment for people who are energised, perhaps even adrenaline junkies. Give it a bit more dynamism.

Have fun.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it​:heart::heart:

Thank you so much. I really like your opinion and I agree!

I sent him a banch of logo and he liked these:
195a5ce66b71533a2cfdef9c943fcd13

He said the first one is his favorite and he likes the font of the second one.
I made him these but didn’t them yet. What do you think ?

This volleying of ideas between yourself, the client, and this forum, has the stink of “throw it at the wall and see if it sticks”.

I think it looks like you’re just trying to give him something similar to the logo he says he likes. It’s understandable that it’s come to this, but you’re supposed to be designing for his market, for his applications. Or, perhaps you’ve recognized his underlying message to you. His “sporty” characterization, along with his affinity for the Lego logo demonstrates his vision that I’d interpret as “physical movement”. So to my eye, you may be on a good track to achieving that with this last batch. He might bite on this:

But really, that’s just mechanics and catering to the client’s whim. You’ve told us:

That’s not enough context for anyone to ordain a proposed design a potential success or failure.

Does it mean…

• He works on the phone selling treadmills to wholesalers for manufacturers?
  • He has a brick & mortar retail storefront selling one treadmill at a time to consumers?
  • His brand is on the products?
  • He’s a re-seller of multiple brands?
  • He services fitness facilities? Medical facilities? Retirement communities?
  • He has trucks? Vans? A staff? Uniforms? Online presence?
  • He’s in a major city? In the US? Europe? Asia?
  • He advertises in print? On television?

The answers to these and perhaps a dozen or two more questions about the client and his competition might influence whether a design would/should/could work. You’re trapped under a premise that’s far too superficial. You need the client to buy in, but not just because he likes it.

3 Likes

These are better than the previous ones. Good use of fonts :clap: :clap:

1 Like

I totally agree with you. This is the cons of the online business. He doesn’t have the time to answer questions. I sent him a questionnare but he answer with one or two words!

Thank you

You didn’t charge enough.

2 Likes

Yes you are right