Logo Design

It is still not taking away the fact that the tricky cutting problem remains.

Ah, how can i solve the problem then?

Do away with the thin border bars. Try something else.

Or, just do away with them.

Your teacher is wrong.

You should be in CMYK mode.
Black is a colour.
It’s black pigment

White is not considered a colour as it’s without colour - you see the paper through the design.

White can be a colour - if printing in certain conditions, like packaging where it’s not a white background paper substrate.

I hadn’t noticed this earlier, but it’s wrong from so many angles that I’m unsure how to reply.

Picking up on what @Smurf2 said, color is your brain’s way of interpreting various wavelengths of light that strike the retina. From this viewpoint, black is the absence of visible wavelengths of light, and white is the combination of all the visible wavelengths.

In ordinary, everyday understanding, there’s a popular notion that neither black nor white are colors. But this is people’s misunderstanding of the relevant physics and biology that gives rise to color.

However, in graphic design and printing, color is more or less synonymous with how it’s produced using various combinations of inks, toners, dyes, pigments, electric diodes, etc.

In printing, if you want a specific color, you specify the appropriate combination of CMYK inks or a single Pantone color if the job calls for spot inks. Since black is the K ink in CMYK and has separate Pantone equivalents, black is undoubtedly a color in printing and graphic design.

White is usually the color of the substrate (the paper or whatever the inks are printed on). However, substrates aren’t always white. For example, the black background business cards you posted earlier could be printed with black ink on white paper stock. Alternatively, you could skip the black ink and use black paper stock and opaque white ink for the typography, as with white engraving ink or opaque thermography.

However, printing on black stock comes with problems since typical printing inks are transparent, but getting into that would be a digression.

You either misunderstood your instructor, or he or she is giving you incorrect information.

There’s another thing that every graphic designer needs to understand about color: CMYK (subtractive color) vs RGB (additive color). I’m skipping that for now since it would require another, even longer, post.

Maria, these are my two cents:

• Don’t try to prove your design skills through your business card by cramming lines, illustrations, gradients here and there.
  • Personally I would keep it much more simple, I would reapproach everything. Fonts, logomark, even color pallete.
  • Except for certains briefs, try to give air for breath. Multiple symbols, colors, font weights, sizes are causing fuss and don’t prove graphic proficiency.
  • If you are too sure about to illustrate a fish, bear in mind that most people in Greece (you’re greek, I guess, so am I, you can tell from my English) tend to assossiate illustrations of fish with “taverna” or “tsipouro” (greek traditional restaurants). It’s a bold move. Anyway, what caught my eye from your handrawn sketches is the last one, by far.
  • Pay attention to contrast, proximity, hierarchy. For example “Betta Design” and “Bringing ideas to Life” need more constrast as the complete visually. Every design has focal points and the challenge is to lead the viewers eye to follow a specific order, where the designer wants.
  • Use as less fonts as possible and play with weights/sizes (to a certain extent)
  • About your logo I find it too illustrative. It doesn’t make a quick impression. It’s just two (quite nicely) illustrated fish.
  • My final advice is: Browse and spend time on other proffesional’s work. Save a lot of them, study them. Behance, pinterest, or sites of well established graphic design agencies is a very good start. Train your eye and your brain to good design and you’ll become better and better.