Looking for book suggestions

Hello,

I don’t have any knowledge or experience in graphic design.
Someone can recommend good books to learn graphic design basics, vector designing and logo designing?

Thanks.

I’m sorry for double posting. I can’t edit. I meant to books not ebooks.

No problem, fixed it for you.

1 Like

Tell us more about you.
Are you a high school student? A returning student with some other type of art training? A hobbyist? Any art ability at all?

If you can’t draw, I’d suggest starting with learning to draw and go from there.
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is a good book to start with. Start at the beginning and go to the end. Don’t skip anything no matter how dumb you think it might be. That will give you the basic foundation on quite a number of graphic design theories.

Graphic design isn’t learned from books.
You can read about theory, but you need to learn to apply it and you need to learn to defend why you applied it. That comes from classroom learning, internships, and junior level design positions.
Logo design, contrary to popular opinion, is not a way to make a quick buck. I’m of the opinion that anyone who designs logos should have to purchase malpractice insurance. After all, the success of someone’s business is riding on the proper development of the branding behind that business.

2 Likes

Thank you KitchWitch. :+1:

I don’t have any type of training.
Last time i draw something was maybe 18 years ago (I`m 30 now).
I’m looking to learn something new from home in my free time.
I need some good books in basics of graphic and practice simultaneously.
I don’t looking for a quick buck in anything.
For now i just looking to learn something new as hobby.

I think to address PrintDriver’s point, I see there being three categories of knowledge/skill to learn about, and while the mentorship of a teacher or work superior can help guide this, that isn’t always possible for everyone, and shouldn’t stop up from pursuing our goals.

1. Artistic skill: Like PD said, get some books that teach drawing techniques, as well as the fundamental basics of design. You should also learn about typography.

2. Design Theory: You need an understanding of the various schools, theories, and philosophies of design throughout the ages. I suggest starting with Meggs History of Graphic Design. https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Meggs'+History+of+Graphic+Design%2C+6th+Edition-p-9781119136231

3. Technical requirements: This refers to how your artwork will be used in the end either on the web or in print. If you are going to be providing files to a printer, you need an understanding of what they need, and how they work.

Here are a couple of “book list” articles to peruse.

3 Likes

Vector Basic Training

http://www.peachpit.com/store/vector-basic-training-a-systematic-creative-process-9780134176734

2 Likes

What I wish would happen is for the design industry to require a License to Practice.

You can hobby all you want for your friends and local civic groups, but when it comes to professional design there should be a bar to pass that has minimum requirements.
Alas that day has long slipped away.

Today, in the US, an entry level graphic design position requires a 4-year college degree and at least 2 years of real world experience (which I recommend getting while still in school and eligible for internships.)
That 4-year degree is currently being used as “the bar” or cut-off point for accepting applications for consideration. There are so many students of design out there these days, with 100s of applications received per advertised job opening (no joke) that the companies doing the hiriing are applying their own conditions for review of applicants.

Just sayin’

1 Like

thx :+1:

thx. :+1:

It’s sort of an odd hobby given that graphic design is largely based around influencing target audiences on behalf of paying clients. I suppose you could work with the aesthetic aspects of it as a personal art form, though.

Yes, and awarded only after passing a competency exam similar to almost every other profession. This, of course, wouldn’t apply to people, like Max, who just want to experiment with it as a hobby. But professionally, in my opinion, nobody should be hanging out a shingle selling design services without, first, having proven their professional qualifications and expertise.

1 Like

Could start here with amazingly sawsome (super awesome) Scouts Graphic Arts merit badge…

ScoutsGA

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, all professional designers should be required to possess a graphic arts scout merit badge as proof of competency before being licensed.

:grinning: :rofl:

1 Like

Here’s another thread with good info on this topic.

https://www.graphicdesignforum.org/t/book-suggestions/1407/8

2 Likes

Thanks for all of your comments guys.

1 Like

What do you think to start with Gavin’s Ambrose basic design series books?

My favorite for a beginning designer is the “Adobe Classroom in a Book” series. Each chapter shows you how to use one of the tools (and it’s variations). You work through exercises based on the chapter.

You won’t learn a thing about actual good design, but it will teach you how to use the standard industry tools (Adobe).

1 Like

Do you know if someone wrote similiar book for affinity?
I know there are selling their official book, i don’t going to buy it because i think it to much expensive for a one book.

You can always learn form the tutorials on YouTube.