Need Help - Just moved to UK

In my mind when reviewing work I’d lose interest in your stuff cos it’s not transparent or organised well.

If there were 10 candidates and I needed 3 I’d pick the three best in terms of what they can offer in a real world scenario.

I can’t make that dissection with your work. Where its interesting, and good, that’s about it.

The way I see it, if you were going for intern role or junior position you are miles ahead.

But in junior position I want to see the spec and college work. I want to see where it all began.

If it’s for a mid level designer
I want to see real level work and a side of spec work and college work.

And for a senior design role I want to see high end actual work.

The way I see your portfolio being amended is to organise for a mid level position.

Your portfolio should start with
Actual work
I’d like to see what you’re capable of from brief to finished product.

Experimental work and interests
Be good to see what else you have to offer

And a side of the college work.
Finally see some of the college work almost as an appendix.

I do think your work is nice. That’s all.
But in terms of offering the job, I’d rather seeore organisation and presentation of the material.

If you understand where I’m coming from, you could well command mid level.

If you were going for senior roles I’d suggest only high end quality work, you wouldnt need experimental, perhaps as an index but it better be damn good.

And I wouldn’t want to see any college work.

In short.
You’re good. But organise and compartmentalize the designs to showcase positions going for.

If its graphic design , illustrator photographer, put those at the front matter.

If its graphic design and 3d and packaging out that as front matter.

But the lack of separating actual work, college work and experiments jars me a bit.

Wow… that’s a very good way to put it.

I’ve taken your notes and drawn up a little wireframe, I’ll work on redesigning my website. I’m particularly drawn to the idea of categorization of work rather than just a collage. I really only saw myself as a junior-level designer, due to my limited years of experience. But after your feedback and many other peoples, after I touch up my portfolio, I may try to apply for some mid-level entry jobs.

Again, your feedback was really insightful and thought-provoking, I can’t thank you enough :slight_smile:

All the best, and chat soon

If you haven’t worked in a place as a junior/intern for a year at least then I’d start there.
Mid level you’d have more responsibilities.

But adjust your portfolio for what job you’re going for.
If it’s a big agency it will be worth going in junior level for a year and steadily moving up.

If it’s a smaller agency then maybe Mid would be your range.

I don’t know you - and know very little about you or your experience.

It’s not a school of thought—it’s a “word to the wise.”
A few years ago a client hired me and I told him that he had made the same mistake. He told me his biggest problem was that only the people he contacted personally were using his website. We created a new URL and the results were immediate.