Need some advice and feedback

Hi, I’m new to the forum and I don’t want to break the rules or seem intrusive.
Please don’t get mad if this is not a place to post this topic.
I’m developing a passion project of mine into something more.
Truth be told, I don’t know yet where to go from here.
My designs are inspired by the early 2000’s music, skateboarding and street culture.
I would really appreciate some opinions and critique.
I have them on instagram, I hope it’s ok with the forum’s rules.
/angelsidefx

You’ll get a better response if you post some of them here. Not everyone uses Instagram.

Right, thanks.

In general, I like the look of what you’ve posted — but that is purely a subjective statement.

To offer any sort of a meaningful critique, I’d have to know what I’m looking at. What is the purpose of the work? How will it be used? Who is the work supposed to appeal to? How does the work connect with that audience?

I suppose part of the problem is that you don’t know the answers to these questions. I say that based on your comment saying that this is a passion project for you and you don’t know where to go.

So is this fine art or is it applied art? Right now, it seems like it would fit more readily into the fine art category. But I could see this style working in a number of applied art applications.

1 Like

There’s almost always a purpose or a goal in graphic design. For example, the label on a jar at a supermarket or the cover of a book at a bookstore is meant to communicate information and help sell the product.

How you described your work sounds more like an art project than graphic design — an avenue to explore visual possibilities that mean something to you. This is totally fine, but it’s more akin to fine art than graphic design. However, it does make it more difficult to critique since the goal isn’t necessarily to help achieve a client’s objectives or engage a specific audience to influence them in some predetermined way.

As Steve_O said, I like the looks of your work. I can imagine this style used to nice effect in a skateboarding magazine layout or something similar. I suppose the problem is that you’ll likely be waiting a long time for a client to come along that could benefit from this kind of look. Then again, if these are just for you, that’s great, but as you mentioned, there’s not a clear path forward to what comes next.

I would like to see this on giant canvases in galleries with super high rooms.

I would make the white type in various screen percentages, like 85, 75, 65 %
and skew some of the text.
if this is an American flag, perhaps placing the text as the13 stripes might clarify the graphic.
as editing “new level” does not relate to the rest of the slogans.

hope this helped!

Thank you so much for the replies and input. Just to make long story short; a while back I started creating traditional collages, not digital. The next step was transfering that into the digital world and the real project started. Meanwhile, almost accidentally, I discovered printing on canvas which in the end led to creating clothing patches from those designs. This is what I’d like to go for, a fashion project of sorts; to give your clothes a new life instead of buying more clothing.
As you pointed out, I know it will be difficult to find a bigger number of clients because of the style.

2 Likes

just stick you what your heart says, that is the most important aspect of a true artist!

True.
Oh, and thank you all for kindness. It’s a rare thing these days, especially on the Internet.
I know sometimes there’s a fine line between self-promotion and genuienly asking for advice and I really appreciate your professional opinion.