New Kaspersky Logo

Kaspersky Lab (/kæˈspɜːrski/; Russian: Лаборатория Касперского, Laboratoriya Kasperskogo) is a multinational cybersecurity and anti-virus provider headquartered in Moscow, Russia and operated by a holding company in the United Kingdom. It was founded in 1997 by Eugene Kaspersky, Natalya Kaspersky, and Alexey De-Monderik; Eugene Kaspersky is currently the CEO. Kaspersky Lab develops and sells antivirus, internet security, password management, endpoint security, and other cybersecurity products and services.

Before

Kaspersky-Logo-1-620x350

After

The original is one I’d have definitely deemed overly decorated, so I like the direction.

Coincidentally, this is a brand I see frequently on race cars and gear in Formula 1 and other series, so I’ll reserve more thorough judgement of the new treatment until I see more of how it plays in those applications.

The old one definitely had that 90s vibe going on. Who knows? Maybe it was designed after their '97 founding. The new one? Well, this is the first thing that came to mind. But, we’ll see how they roll it out.

I have never quite understood the desire to use a virus prevention software from a company headquartered in Moscow…a software that has security access to pretty much your whole computer.
That’s not paranoid, is it?

2 Likes

No more paranoid than letting most all 5G wireless traffic run through Huawei telecommunications equipment. Everything considered, I don’t know if it’s paranoid or prudent. It’s a new world where everything is tied into everything else, and I don’t know if that’s good or bad either.

1 Like

That’s a whole other can of worms.
No IOT in my house.
:slight_smile:

Me either. I have no need of the refrigerator telling me when I’m out of milk via my cell phone nor Alexa listening in on my conversations.

3 Likes

A lifetime of cop/law TV shows has instilled a certain slang vernacular in my wife and me, and our shared take on Alexa and her kind is, “Why would anyone put their own house up?”
(A place where a listening device has been planted covertly, in cop/criminal slang is ‘up’.)

2 Likes

It’s when the refrigerator tells me I’ve exceeded my calorie count for the day and locks the door. That would suck. And do people religiously scan the items they take in and out of the fridge? I have enough trouble just unpacking the grocery bags.
Are people just so unaware that they need their fridge to take “shelfies” so they know what they have for food???

Generally speaking, I’d say the numbers of the unaware, the listless, the oblivious, are increasing, or at least the visual evidence seems to suggest it. But they aren’t the market for this stuff.

At some point, every new technology spurs marketers (read: liars) to fabricate a problem that they say needs solving. Whether it actually raises the quality of anyone’s life notwithstanding, the typical buyer of underwear that sends a push notification to your liePhone when your private parts are not in presentation condition isn’t someone who finds that feature genuinely useful; it’s someone who revels in showing off the novelties they can afford their ego.

Paranoid? Kaspersky / Huawei / whoever tells the government they won’t be spying for them anymore because it’s affecting their customer satisfaction profile. Governments realise they have no power over corporations after stories start to appear on social media about their private lives. Industrial espionage becomes more relevant that state lead espionage and we are in the future that William Gibson predicted. :no_mouth:
(some of this is already happening)

Privacy is gone. Long gone. I like to dilute myself into thinking I still have some. My kids who have Facebook installed on their phones regularly will say that they’ll be discussing something or someone and then start seeing ads for whatever they were discussing or the person they were talking about will show up as someone they might know. I deleted my FB account altogether several years ago and never looked back.

I hear you on the technology thing. In a lot of cases, it creates more work than it solves. But it’s the internet of things, and I don’t think we’re going to be stopping it.

You can stop it if you can’t afford it.
Seriously, who can afford to pay $50K for a pickup truck that has the minimum safety/gps/whatallever installed in the dashboard. That same truck without all the IOT would go for $20K or less.
I’ll go out and get a freakin propane refrigerator before I’ll get one tied to the wi-fi (yes such a thing exists, at least until Google buys it and destroys it.)

1 Like

Here’s how I feel about Alexa :smiley:

2 Likes

American companies are no better (I’ll explain at the end). I work for a renewable energy company owned by a large oil and gas company.

I, for one don’t care about my privacy that much. In fact, I let google track my every movement in real life and online, just so it can pay me 10 cents to a dollar several times a day by asking me more in depth questions about my actions- sometimes I even provide it with my shopping receipts.

Various smart objects in my house? Sure. That sounds pretty neat. A Wi-FI enabled toothbrush that records me while i’m in the bathroom and sends pictures of me in the shower or on the toilet to a nameless face in a big corporation (or more likely and AI)? Whatever. As long as I get a few seconds of amusement from it.

It’s not that I’m unaware, in fact I’m probably more aware than most. I work as an engineer that develops A.I. software that mutates online content based on people’s online actions- whether it’s through the site the software is installed on or not. What is the company I work for going to use this for? Who knows. They will probably sell it to Facebook or Google, even though they have something similar and more efficient.

My team is working on creating and linking fragmented “shadow profiles” in a meaningful way. For instance, if you’re using a VPN, and a browser that doesn’t track your history or cookies- but there’s a pattern in different I.P.'s (hour, search content, frequency, any pattern that the A.I. can link) that indicates it’s the same person, then we create a shadow profile that we apply to that user. People are creatures of habit, even when we purposely try to avoid routines we just create new ones. One fascinating aspect is that even if a person stops using one computer, on one network and switches to a different computer on a different network- our usage patterns are so unique that it takes almost no time at all to accurately indicate that it’s the same person. Combine that with the other factors and it’s scarily accurate.

We have even gotten accurate enough to link a person’s cell phone “profile” to computer “profile” and indicate that they are the same person.

This logo looks really nice.

In my opinion, they had to do redesign long time ago! I like it!