The end of May means rattlesnake season at our house. Here’s a photo of our first visitor of the year from just a few minutes ago when I went out to mow the lawn.
After buying the house, we found out from the state wildlife agency that there was a long-established and protected snake den immediately behind our back fence in some cavities in the exposed bedrock outcropping on the hillside. Our yard sits squarely across their distribution path as they disperse from their den each year. I really hate these things.
I know a guy who was bitten twice by the same rattlesnake — once on his thumb, the other on his shoulder. Within several minutes he had gone into shock, could hardly breathe and needed to be helicoptered to a regional medical center. His thumb still looks mangled up because of it.