RIP: The Necrology Thread

Aww :frowning: I hadn’t heard this. He was so good on that show. It was one of my all time favorites too.

RIP Sam :heart:

1 Like

R.I.P Florian Schneider, founder member of Kraftwerk.

Whatever you think of their music, they were the first band to produce great music using only digital synthesisers. They made it possible to think about making music in a new way. It is difficult to overstate the immense influence they had on pop music. From whole genres of Synth Pop, Electronic Dance Music, Hip Hop and Rap and musicians like Brian Eno and David Bowie, the list goes on. Alex Petidris in The Guardian called them ‘possibly the most influential band since The Beatles’.

1 Like

every time i used a pocket calculator, i wanted to drive on der autobahn!

Rock & Roll has lost another legend. :frowning:
Richard Wayne Penniman, better known as Little Richard, has passed at 87. May he rest in peace :heart:

images (3)

Littlerichard

1 Like

Oh man …

Good Golly, Miss Molly, I had no idea that Little Richard was still alive until just recently. There aren’t too many left who date back to the beginnings of rock ‘n’ roll.

1 Like

Jerry Stiller, 1927 – 2020

seinfeld-frank-costanza

2 Likes

Some may know him as Ann Meara’s husband or Ben Stiller’s Father. He will always be best known to me as Frank Costanza, the inventor of Festivus and the inspiration for “The Bro” a foundation garment for men :smiley:

RIP you funny, funny man :heart:

2 Likes

The double rainbow guy from ten years ago, Paul “Bear” Vasquez has died.

1 Like

Holy moly … that was 10 years ago??

Well… RIP Bear :heart:

He was one of the first things I ever knew of that went “viral”.

Fred Willard, 2033 - 2020. I’ll be watching Best in Show tonight in his honor.

From A Mighty Wind:

Oh no :frowning: He was such a great actor/comedian. I loved him in Best of Show and A Mighty Wind. He had playing the sweet dimwit down to a science :heart: RIP Fred

I’ve seen Fred Willard a million times, but I can’t pin down where other than him being Martin Mull’s dimwitted sidekick on Fernwood Tonight.

Ken Osmond, 1943 - 2020

0925-eddie-haskell-beaver-then-480w

He will always be Eddie Haskell to me :wink:

He lived a pretty quiet life for the most part, other than being an LAPD cop for nearly 20 years and being shot 5x.

(I didn’t now that last part either until I looked it up) I’ve always known him as Eddie Haskell but never knew anything else about him really … after the typecasting of Leave it to Beaver, I knew he could never find more acting work. But, it’s been years and years since I’ve even thought about him.

RIP Ken :heart:

officerosmond

1 Like

Yeah, I had no idea about him being in the LAPD and being shot until I read about him today.

1 Like

The sculptor, Christo Vladimirov Javacheff — better known as just Christo — has did at the age of 84.

I studied his work extensively in art school. He was famous for wrapping things, like the Reichstage in Berlin or an island in Biscayne Bay near Miami, or building his Running Fence in in northern California.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember his Running Fence. Wasn’t that some kind of ecological disaster at the time? Seems it was more controversy than art.

1 Like

I had to look that up … never heard of it.

It was classified as installation art and was first conceived in 1972. It was completed on September 10, 1976. It was removed 14 days later, leaving no visible trace.

The fence was nearly 25 miles long and ran across the hills of Sonoma and Marin counties in northern California. It was 18 feet high and made of 2,222,222 square feet of heavy woven white nylon fabric, which created 2,050 panels. It hung from 350,000 hooks strung across steel cables that were attached to 2,050 steel poles that were 21 feet long. Each pole was buried 3 feet into the ground without any concrete.

There were two camps … those that absolutely loved it … and those that hated it!

It was a really interesting trip down that rabbit hole :smiley:

Thanks PD :slight_smile: