RIP: The Necrology Thread

Well, RKK beat me to what I was going to type myself. :smiley:

I remember it quite well since it corresponded with my first days of art school and everyone was excited about it. I remember there being environmental concerns, but it was only up for a few days and didn’t involve anything that was destructive to the environment.

Some of Christo’s other installations, like wrapping miles of rocks and cliffs at beaches in Australia were likely more disruptive, but still short-lived and returned to their previous state. I think the main objection to Christo’s art was that so many non-artists were baffled by it since it didn’t conform to what their notions of art were. I loved his work, though.

1 Like

That’s seems to be all I can find as well as far as criticism goes. It’s fascinating to me. He jumped through tons of hoops for years to get approval. There were 18 public hearings, gaining permission from 59 Ranchers, 3 sessions at the Superior Courts of California, and the drafting of a 450 page Environmental Impact Report. Now that’s dedication to ones art!

:slight_smile:

I was not familiar with Christo or his work. Thanks for posting.

Not to mention it cost $3Million. Money better spent elsewhere IMO.

Another sad loss :frowning_face: Bonnie Pointer of the Pointer Sisters has passed at 69. RIP Bonnie :heart:

1 Like

She was not very old.

1 Like

I used to think 30 was old. Funny how perspective changes. :thinking:

1 Like

That’s for sure. I got to chuckling a while back thinking of how old I thought my Grandparents were when I was little … around 6 or 7. That would have put them in their mid 40’s … Oy! lol :smiley:

Comedy legend Carl Reiner has passed. He was 98.
He was a prolific entertainer, director, actor, screenwriter and publisher, with a career spanning several decades.
He created The “Dick Van Dyke Show” and directed more than a dozen films, including “The Jerk” and “Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid” . He starred in two of my very favorite old films: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963), The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming (1966).

Another legend gone :frowning: RIP Carl … you will be missed :heart:

carl

2 Likes

Country music legend Charlie Daniels dies at 83 from stroke.

1 Like

So sorry to hear this. Charlie Daniels loved America – it was reflected in his music (ie In America). Also was a big supporter of our veterans.

1 Like

Ennio Morricone - he wrote the beautiful broken majesty of the spaghetti westerns and so much more.

and from The Mission;

2 Likes

And my personal favorite :heart:

1 Like

Grant Imahara has died. :frowning: He was an electrical engineer and roboticist. You will probably remember his most from hosting MythBusters. He also hosted Netflix’s White Rabbit Project, and he worked for a long time at Lucasfilm’s THX and Industrial Light and Magic divisions. This is so sad :frowning: He was only 49. TMZ is reporting it was a brain aneurysm. RIP Grant :heart:

1 Like

Regis Philbin has passed at 88. RIP :heart:

2 Likes

Peter Green, the founder of Fleetwood Mac, has died at the age of 73. Unless you’re a blues fan, you’ve likely never heard of Peter Green. He quit the band before it picked up a few replacement members, changed course and hit it big in the late '70s.

2 Likes

(Mumbling) Yeah, I’m familiar with Peter Green …

1 Like

We’ve lost John Saxon today as well. He was 83.Johnsaxon jsaxon-876 RIP John :heart:

1 Like

There is no explanation available for the talent of Peter Green. He was a one-off, probably the greatest blues guitarist the UK ever produced. For those of us who cringe at what Fleetwood Mac became without him, his loss is ultimately tragic if not unexpected.

2 Likes

She just turned 104. What a long and amazing life. RIP Olivia :tulip: :heartpulse: :tulip:

2 Likes