RIP: The Necrology Thread

Rest easy Archbishop :heart:

1 Like

Desmond Tutu was one of those men who really makes a difference. The truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa stands as one of mankind’s finest achievements. It should be the template for many places in the world.

In the UK a second class degree at second level (a 2.2 degree) is known as a Desmond. It fits with his cheeky humour.

1 Like

RIP John :heart:

3 Likes

I’m not much of a sports guy, but even I know who John Madden is.

Betty White, 99, dies.

2 Likes

Aw, she only had 17 more days to go to hit 100.
Wonderfully funny lady.

OMG just before her 100th. They just announced a special on her 100th celebration :frowning:

So sad :frowning:

Betty White -a true comedy genius lit up my life whenever I watched one of her shows.

2 Likes

There have been such wonderful articles about her. I’ve watched a few tributes in the past. Like when she won the Lifetime Achievement Award.

One thing that always struck me funny is she wanted everyone to know her real name was Betty … NOT Elizabeth :grin:

She was always so pretty, so smart and so funny.

betty2

Betty White was one of those increasingly rare people who I have no memory of not knowing about. She was on television when I was just a little kid — someone who, from the beginning, popped up from time as a familiar face. It’s a though she’s always been here — until now.

1 Like

I’m not sure I remember it or remember my Mom telling details about it … but I swear I remember watching her on Password when I was just a wee sprout :wink:

1 Like

Yes! I remember that too! It was my favorite game show on days I was home from school sick

1 Like

What I think speaks volumes is how treasured Betty White seems to have been across a broad group of people young and old. RIP Betty.

1 Like

I ran across this today on YouTube. An episode of the Betty White show from November 1954.

1 Like

In case anyone doesn’t know, that tap dancer is Arthur Duncan. He joined the show in 1957. The station started getting racist, hate letters from Jim Crow Southern states that they would not air The Betty White show if he remained. The station began pressuring Betty to fire him. She said no way. She refused to fire him so the station cancelled the show.

Even though his time was short with Betty, it was the launching point of his career. He went on to tour with Bob Hope overseas and then became a regular on The Lawrence Welk show for nearly 2 decades. :heart:

3 Likes

“Live with it.”
Betty White host and producer of The Betty White Show as she defied racist demands to get rid of Duncan because he was black.

I was happy she was able to finally, after 40 years, spend NYE with Allen Ludden. And can you imagine the ruckus on the Rainbow Bridge?

2 Likes

Not a household name, but a passing worth a mention.

1 Like

112 … my word. RIP Mr. Brooks :heart:

1 Like

Sidney Poitier dies.

2 Likes

:frowning: RIP Sidney :heart: