RIP: The Necrology Thread

:cry:
The original Star Trek cast was one of a kind. All of them.

1 Like

As hokey as was sometimes, I loved the original version of Star Trek and the entire cast. I really canā€™t stand the new Star Trek TV series from the last six or seven years. Iā€™ve tried watching one or two of them, and theyā€™re not Star Trek. Iā€™m sad to see Nichelle Nichols pass on.

1 Like

It wasnā€™t all that hokey to a 6-year-old, and later became much more. Everything after Deep Space Nine has sucked, and the last few seasons of that sucked too. As far as the movies go, IMO, Wrath of Kahn was the last of it. I havenā€™t watched any of the others.

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched all the Star Trek Series (a couple of times) I love them all. I really loved the first season of Picard ā€¦ but Iā€™m struggling to get through season two. Itā€™s soooo convoluted. I put it on the back burner a couple months ago and havenā€™t been back. Iā€™m also not all that thrilled with the new Star Trek Discovery. I canā€™t seem to get with the swing of things. I would be dying to see the next episode of TNG, Voyager and DS9. I even liked Enterprise even though critics seemed to hate it. (no big deal, I never like what critics do and vice versa) But, waiting for the next Discovery is ā€¦ meh ā€¦

For whatever reason, Star Trek never captivated me. I think Iā€™ve seen one full episode of the original TV series and one of the movies. Star Wars grabbed my attention as a young boy; but, even with that franchise, I checked out after the original three movies.

1 Like

I wonder if that is a common either or thing ā€¦ because Iā€™m the opposite. Fell in love with Star Trek (used to watch it with my Grandfather when I was tiny) But, never got in to Star Wars. Iā€™ve only ever seen the first movie ā€¦ I know ::::gasp:::: :rofl:

Iā€™ve been thinking about the reports of Nichelle Nicholsā€™s death mentioning her ā€œground-breakingā€ role in Star Trek ā€” a black woman in a prime-time television series who played a part that, at the time, might more logically have been played by a white person.

As a kid, I watched Star Trek every day when I got home from school. As a kid, I donā€™t think I ever consciously thought about Lieutenant Uhuru being black ā€” she was just another member of the Enterprise bridge crew. For that matter, I donā€™t think it ever occurred to me until reading these news stories how ethnically diverse the cast was for a television series from the 1960s.

My point is that I suspect kids arenā€™t wired to notice things like that until theyā€™re taught in one way or another that itā€™s an issue. Itā€™s got me wondering how foolish prejudices begin and how they get passed on to children as they grow up.

1 Like

The kiss between her character and William Shatner was the kiss heard around the world. But, even then it wasnā€™t in a romantic sense ā€¦ Aliens forced him to do it.

But, it was a breakthrough. And there was little to no complaints.

I remember reading somewhere that they had another way they wanted to film it for the delicate southern folks, but Shatner was flubbing his lines deliberately so they had to go with the original :smiley: :rofl:

I heard that she wasnā€™t enjoying her role as Uhura and wanted to quit, only to be persuaded by MLK who knew the value of having a black actor as part of a mixed crew.

2 Likes

She often told the story about MLK being the reason she stayed on.
I was the same as B. Never noticed the cast being Black, White, Russian, Asian, Vulcan, Scot, etc. They were just The Crew of the Enterprise. I was 6. It wasnā€™t until several years later I found the world to beā€¦different.

2 Likes

Dang Olivia Newton John passed at 73

1 Like

RIP Olivia :frowning: How sad. She sure fought a good fight though :purple_heart:

Wow! For a time back in the '70s, she was just about as big of a star as there could be.

1 Like

Judith Durham, of the Seekers, also of Australia.

1 Like

Itā€™s seemingly not a good day for iconic female Australian singers. :frowning_face:

Iā€™ll even admit to having a bit of a crush on Judith Durham when I wasnā€™t even old enough to know what those sort of feelings were all about.

2 Likes

You and me both, @Just-B .

Wait ā€“ I already knew what that feeling was.

No wordsā€¦

1 Like

Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96. 1926 ā€“ 2022.

EDIT: @sprout beat me to it.

1 Like

Iā€™m not exactly a ā€˜fanaticalā€™ royalist, but that has knocked me for six. We all knew it had to happen at some point, butā€¦

As venerable monarchs go, she was definitely up there.

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry :frowning: I think a lot of us who werenā€™t her subjects loved her as well :heart:

Seeing ā€œThe King and the Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow.ā€ Is a bit jarring to me. Itā€™s one of those things you never thought would happen.