RIP: The Necrology Thread

When people mentioned The Queen, nobody would think it was not Queen Elizabeth II. She certainly had her place in history.

1 Like

I’ve got to admit, this makes me sadder than I would have expected.

I’m far from young, but there was no time in my life when Queen Elizabeth wasn’t the queen. I think many people here in the states pay almost as much attention to the Royal Family as you Brits do.

King Charles? Oh, boy. That just doesn’t sound right.

1 Like

The long reign of Queen Elizabeth II was marked by her strong sense of duty and her determination to dedicate her life to her throne and to her people.

She became for many the one constant point in a rapidly changing world as British influence declined, society changed beyond recognition and the role of the monarchy itself came into question.

Her success in maintaining the monarchy through such turbulent times was even more remarkable given that, at the time of her birth, no-one could have foreseen that the throne would be her destiny.

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor was born on 21 April 1926, in a house just off Berkeley Square in London, the first child of Albert, Duke of York, second son of George V, and his duchess, the former Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

click for full article and pictures.

If you can (possibly via Netflix), try and catch King Charles III. It is a fictional event that appeared after the fictional passing of the Queen.

1 Like

It feels like your Nan just died.

1 Like

Wonder how they guys branding with the queen image on it is doing now?

Well, the 20-dollar bill is still worth twenty dollars.

That’s Canadian 20-dollar bill.

Not a royalist either, but we drank a toast. Not to the Queen but to the King. In a moment of profound change, continuity is important.

The Queen is dead. Long live the King.

This will take some getting used to.

1 Like

I think I’ll have an even more difficult time getting used to Queen Consort Camilla. Then again, it’s none of my business since my ancestors skipped out and joined with the Yankee rebels.

1 Like

I’ve been watching the news. I wasn’t sure when the Coronation will take place as I wasn’t alive when Elizabeth took the thrown. I learned something new today. It will be after the mourning period which could be several weeks. But, he immediately became the King upon her death. :slight_smile:

I read that she was going to be formally known as Princess Consort when he took the thrown, but in a heartfelt letter the Queen asked that she be given the courtesy of being called Queen Consort pointing out her lengthy loyalty to the Crown.

I think that was very kind of her :heart:

And if one of our friends across the pond can confirm …

Does this mean that now William and Kate will become the Prince and Princess of Wales?

Reading of the Queen brought a tear to both eyes.
(She reminded me so much of my Gran too.)
Pretty much the end of an era, in a way. They just don’t make them like that any more.

1 Like

I am not sure. If Charles was invested into the role, does that last until he pops it, or abdicates. My wife and I were talking. about just that, as we live about 1mile into Wales

1 Like

As I have read … no one seems exactly sure. But, it would seem that he is no longer Prince of Wales so that title is now open.

But, again … I’m certainly no Royals expert … just a dabbler who loves to learn about them :slight_smile:

I read a BBC article earlier today referring to Charles as the former Prince of Wales, but it provided no reason for referring to him that way.

If so, and unless William automatically assumes the role, how will Wales ever survive even a month or two without an English prince at the helm? :wink:

As I said, though, my Shropshire ancestors made sure I have no right to an opinion on the matter.

1 Like

If I understand it correctly, William will be Prince of Wales but there will have to be an investiture.

1 Like

It seems somehow weirdly cold to be discussing the succession with The Queen only hours gone.
I’d much rather celebrate her. The rest will sort itself out. Eventually. All in due time.

1 Like

I know what you mean but the succession has to be seamless and immediate. In a moment of such profound change, a sense of continuity is very important.

1 Like

I read earlier today that King Charles (I don’t know if those two words will ever roll easily off my tongue) bestowed the titles of Prince and Princess of Wales on William and Kate. I suppose that settles one of the most important continuity issues.

1 Like