RIP: The Necrology Thread

And still another music icon has apparently died — Sinéad O’Connor.

Weird I was watching some old interviews earlier of Shane MacGowan and Sinead O Connor and I’ve never done that before. Weird it was today I did it.

I’m a massive Irish music fan, from Luke Kelly, Ronnie Drew, Dubliners, Clancy Brothers, Finbar Firey, Christy Dignam and all the greats.

Such rich history of Ireland written into some songs.

Sinead was huge in Ireland, a fantastic singer and person.

Her son died only last year, age 17.

May they be reunited wherever that may be in music and joy and hopefully in embrace.

RIP

I didn’t follow her career too much, but she always seemed to be surrounded in sadness. May she rest in peace.

:cry:

Like RKK, I did not follow her that much, but in a collaboration with the Chieftains, her version of “Foggy Dew” sent a chill up my spine. RIP.

Great musicians seem to be dying faster than they’re being created.

Randy Meisner, bass player, vocalist, and one of the founding members of the Eagles died yesterday at age 77. He also played bass with Poco and was a member of Rick Nelson’s Stone Canyon Band. He could hit a falsetto high note that would make your hair stand on end.

2 Likes

She was totes amazeballs

2 Likes

She performed Dylan’s I Believe in You at his 30th anniversary concert at Madison Square Garden two weeks after the SNL incident and was apparently heckled and booed so loudly that the recording wasn’t usable for the album/cd of the event, so the producers used the recording from the sound check, and it’s one of the most haunting songs I’ve every heard.

Sinead was amazeballs

I don’t think Christy Dignam got a fair run and I don’t know why.

I need a break

Paul Reubens, aka Pee-wee Herman, passed at 70 from cancer. Certainly a character, on and off screen. I will admit to being a fan of the Tim Burton directed Pee-wee’s Big Adventure.

1 Like

Everyone is dying :frowning: Honestly, the way he looks … I never knew he was 70 years old. That surprised me the most!

RIP Paul :heart:

1 Like

Mark Margolis passed at 83.

If you’re like me, you might not recognize the name, but you’d know his character Tio Salamanca from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

And what an unforgettable performance it was. Wow.

Particularly in BB … the way he communicated without being able to speak.

1 Like

I watched a few episodes of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul on Netflix, so I needed to look up Mark Margolis to be sure who he was.

Interestingly, many comments I found online about his acting on both shows from native Mexican Spanish speakers said his Spanish was terrible. He was an American actor from Philadelphia who spoke little, if any, Spanish. They say he apparently memorized his Spanish lines phonetically and delivered them with a strong American accent as though he was reading something from Google Translate.

Whatever the case, for me, he seemed perfect for the role he played.

John Gosling, keyboardist for The Kinks, passed at 75.

1 Like
2 Likes

An unfamiliar name to many, but the designer Jamie Reid had a huge impact on graphic design and quite possibly influenced the style we now call ‘Grunge’. His artwork epitomised the have-a-go rock philosophy and especially UK punk.

3 Likes

Not a well-known name, but Johnny Hardwick passed at 64. He is best known for being the voice of Dale Gribble on King of the Hill.

2 Likes