Struggling with imposter syndrome

Hey people, so I’m looking for advice and opinions. I basically just want opinions outside of people that know me. If you are an experienced designer or someone that highers designers then that is even better.

Here is some background information on me. I just turned 29. I have a two year degree in design from my local community college. I graduated in 2015. For the past two and a half years I have worked in the graphics department at a medium sized printing company. I do some creative work but it’s mostly preparing customer art for printing. I would like to get a job at an agency or in house as a fulltime designer in the near future.

I was hoping some of you could look at my work and give me your thoughts and critiques. Would you hire me?
Here’s a link to my work:
https://www.behance.net/milesguthro

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Based solely on what I just saw skimming through your work, a solid yes.

1 Like

Thank you for looking, I appreciate it.

I’m not 100% sure you ever get over imposter syndrome.

I got a design degree and then worked in the art department of a printing company. For over 10 years. It might not be the same for you but when I left, I felt like I grew wings. Print is great to learn technical stuff and I think any print designer should spend some time learning about setting files up for print. But if file prep isn’t for you, don’t stay there.

Your work is good. Keep doing good work and build your portfolio towards your dream employer.

1 Like

Thank you.

Yes, I’d say you have the fundamental chops and sensibility to produce good design, and your production experience is an asset in my view. But to really judge your output, I’d want to know more about the input. So in an interview, I’d choose one or more of your portfolio pieces (I really dig the Fish Hook project—very nice work) and grill you on the strategy, the choices, the client, etc. It would be great to see even just a small bit of that type of information actively pushed within the portfolio. I’d rather see that than the font specimens.

2 Likes

Solid work. Looks good.

1 Like

Wow yeah that Fish Hook project looks great! Are the images of the sea animals and diver, illustration work or photoshopped images? Does that style have a particular name?

PS there’s a typo on the kids menu “Sprimp Mac & Cheese”. Also fruit is spelled wrong at the bottom in the fine print.

1 Like

Well that’s embarrassing, thanks for letting me know.
The illustrations are vectorized vintage drawings.