Three Column Layout

Hello!

I’m working on a whitepaper for work, and this section is the last thing I need to do (and its killing me).

I think this layout is a little awkward, but I’ve tried several different variations (using bubbles, laying things out horizontally) and I feel stuck.

Does anyone have any layout recommendations for this? I can share the things I tried as well if that helps.

TCS’ Digital Claims Portal Center

If this is a multi-page document? Making suggestions for one page without seeing the others is a little difficult since they need to match and complement each other as part of the comprehensive design of the document.

However, as a stand-alone page, the layout isn’t as terrible as you make it out to be.

That said, I’d eliminate what seems to be a blue to purple gradient coloring the text.

Will the document be printed? If so, that RGB blue won’t print in CMYK. It will dull down to a grayish-purple. In addition, if the printed document bleeds off the edges, those rounded corners will create a problem since they’re unlikely to match up perfectly with the trim.

2 Likes

This suggestion is going to seem off, but see what it looks like if the body copy that is reversed at top is set in two columns. Yes, I know that will be breaking your grid — at least the columns — but it might look good. (As @Just-B said, you’d need to take into account the rest of the pages.) Right now, you have a very wide column and three very narrow columns. That’s throwing my eye off a bit. The other thing to consider is if the three subheads (“Next-gen low-code…” etc.) should be centered or left justified like all of the other copy on the page.

These suggestions may look like butt, but I’d at least try them.

1 Like

Hey! Good question. Here is the page in context:

Its quite a simple document thus far. The document will be digital first and print second, so I will keep that in mind!

Firstly, I wish all the stuff people put up here to crit was this bad. I think you are beating yourself up far too much, it is clean, legible, hierarchy works, etc.

Two things that stuck out for me – the first of which Steve_O pointed out and you have now fixed, the subhead alignment. The second is the space between the + bullets and the text they relate to. This could be halved. Currently, it is so wide as to hinder their relation to the relevant text.

I definitely agree with Just-B too with regards the graduated tint. Pick a good, flat blue and loose the fade. It adds nothing and comes across as gratuitous in a layout that otherwise is has well-used brevity.

Overall, nice work.

1 Like