Too hot!

It has been a steady 70ish here for better than a week. It was like someone flipped a switch :wink: Low 50’s at night and 70’s during the day. Today however we crept up to 80° but it is supposed to go back to the 70’s :wink: My favorite temp.

2 Likes

I returned to Salt Lake last night (snow for part of the drive) only to find a windstorm had torn the roof off one of our sheds, blown lots of branches out of some of our trees and stripped the leaves off others. Even so, we fared better than our neighbor whose big ponderosa pine tree toppled and fell into the street. At least it didn’t fall on his house or their car. To top it off, it got down well below freezing at our house last night, which pretty much killed all the summer plants in the yard and garden. The freeze was about a month earlier than usual. Aggggh!

This following is from a local television website. (I live close to the University of Utah.)

This is nutty weather. It was in the high 90s just three or four days ago and last night got down into the 20s. Top that with hurricane force winds. Sometimes I really wish I had moved to San Diego years ago — where the weather is always great with sunny summers and pleasantly cool winters.

1 Like

Man, that’s crazy @Just-B. I’m glad the trees didn’t fall on anything or anyone!

1 Like

Dang B :frowning: Sorry about the damage. Crazy is the right word for it!

Sorry to hear that. September? That’s incredible, and I am from the north. At least nobody in your neighbourhood got hurt.

I’m in Los Angeles. Last weekend the thermometer in front of my door hit 110 F both days. Actual temp was probably higher but that was as high as the thermometer went. We’ve got wildfires right now. I’m directly under the plume and the skies have been an eerie orange the last couple days. Ash everywhere.

The smoke from the California fires has been drifting east into Utah for the past week or two, so it’s been really hazy and dim here. All the wind and snow over the past day has cleared all that out now. I suspect the smoke will return, though, if the fires are still burning in Southern California. We have friends who built a house up in the hills west of Temecula, and every year they worry about whether or not it will be the year their house burns down.

Wow, that’s a serious drop. No wonder you have high winds. Sorry to hear about your damage though. We always moan about the weather here in Britain and although we have had more frequent floods in recent years, we don’t really get those extremes.

Mountains don’t help your situation there though do they? They are amazingly good at driving impressive weather systems. I lived in Italy for a while, half way up a mountain and though the weather and views were amazing 95% of the time, you paid for it with everything from forest fires, to biblical floods that took roads away and changed the courses of rivers. We had a boulder the size of a car appear on our land one morning. We used to get thunderstorms you would see start to form across valleys, swirling around, then unleash all hell.

On the upside, I remember having friends visit one November and we were outside in T-shirt’s having lunch, with a nice, crisp glass of Gavi. It was beautifully warm (at that time of year, temperatures would plummet around 3-4pm as soon as the sun disappeared). After lunch we decided to go to the top of the mountain about 10 miles away. We were knee-deep in snow and racing each other on plastic toboggans, but you could see people sunbathing on the beach 1,016 metres below – about 15-20 miles away, as the crow flies – it’s amazing how far you can see when the air is that clear. Not a surprise that you get mad weather sometimes.

It was nothing, if not exciting. I do miss it sometimes.

2 Likes

Wow! That’s fascinating. What a great experience. I’ve heard similar stories in California but none that close! People would say “I would go to the beach in the morning and drive an hour to the ski lodge in the afternoon”

I don’t want to count the proverbial chickens before they’ve hatched, but it appears the fall weather is rolling into the midwest. We’re at that magical time where it’s warm enough during the day that the AC clicks on a few times, and it’s cool enough at night to need a light blanket. This reminds me, it’s time to put some grass seed down.

2 Likes