Trying to Learn About Design

Hello, I’m from Brazil and I’ve always had a passion for graphic arts, I’ve always tried to study, but it seems I’ve reached the limit. I do not think there are many channels that can help me in Brazil, we do not have many serious channels that are really working to teach design, could someone tell me channels on youtube or sites that have content on?

If something is wrong with typing, please forgive me, I’m using google translator

2 Likes

Is there nowhere you can go to school?

Has yes but I already do architecture, I wanted to study design by hobby.

If you plan on doing work for paying clients in any capacity, I would recommend school.

I don’t know any particular channels on YouTube. You could just put “learn graphic design” in the search box. But, I have no idea what results you will get.

This is about all I can offer. I know it’s one of the better resources folks use.

https://www.lynda.com/learning-paths/Design/become-a-graphic-designer

Become a Graphic Designer

Graphic designers create visual concepts that inspire, inform, and transform. Use industry-leading tools to build innovative design projects and discover the skills needed to become an in-demand visual thinker and communicator.

Build a solid foundation in the elements of design: typography, color, and layout.

Explore the design process to visualize compelling ideas.

Practice with hands on exercises in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.

2 Likes

Like architecture, formal schooling is usually needed to become professionally proficient, but if you just have an interest in more of a hobby sense, Lynda.com — as RedKittieKat mentioned — has several good courses on both design and the technical skills designer should possess. Skillshare.com and Pluralsight.com are similar to Lynda.com with lots of well-made courses.

These are subscription-based courses, however, so they do cost money. Also, they’re in English, so if you’re limited to Portuguese, that could be a problem too.

Sometimes public libraries have subscriptions to these kinds of things. Also public libraries (at least here in the U.S.) usually have good selections of books on various aspects of graphic design.

2 Likes

I tried responding yesterday and one of my fellow designers had my response removed. I was told I was overly selling myself.

FYI:! I’m offering to help FOR ABSOLUTE FREE! I’m not looking to get anything in return, I simply want to help!!

What is wrong with this country that everyone is SO afraid that someone offering to help a person in need is ostracised because God forbid — someone might accidentally hear the name of my company in the info.

Are we all that deathly afraid of someone else getting ahead of you?? That kind of desperation is not what we should be teaching new designers.

Brazil — I’m still happy to help you out FOR FREE if the design police will let you see my name or the name of my company!

Shouldn’t we be helping each other out instead of being so afraid that someone might actually get some help? Is this a Russian forum???

1 Like

The forum rules prohibit advertising by members. There are many sign-ups made for the sole purpose of driving traffic. Where offers of help cross over into advertising is a judgement call entrusted to the forum moderators. Perhaps your offer was misjudged; perhaps not, but in any case, it has absolutely nothing to do with deathly fear of someone else’s success, desperation, or Russia. You’re the only one equating those things.

1 Like

If you don’t like the rules don’t play the game.

What is wrong with this country that everyone is SO afraid that someone offering to help a person in need is ostracised because God forbid — someone might accidentally hear the name of my company in the info.

^^ You can blame the internet for that.

Just a little background… I wasn’t the one who removed your post, but I did remove another post from this thread right before yours that was definitely spam. We get a whole lot of that here — it’s a big problem that’s always threatening to overrun the forum.

The moderators have had lots of discussions over where to draw the line between helpful, on-topic links from good forum members and those that only pretend to be that in order to drive traffic to very iffy sites that often have little to do with the subjects being discussed. Sometimes it’s difficult to tell the difference and, as HotButton mentioned, judgment calls are made.

So you have my apologies if your offer to help was misinterpreted as something other than what it was.

1 Like

:open_mouth:

This is a major overreaction. The poster made a lot of negative assumptions, and posted them, because a post of theirs was deleted.

US_IDeaS, in America, a private group can set policies. We can choose whether to agree to them, or leave. When you break a policy, you can accept that you made a mistake, and apologize.

But attacking the group because you don’t like their policies… that’s way over the top.

Tips hat…

1 Like

I am very grateful to know that you want to help me, where can we talk?

1 Like

Thank you for your note — I understand every forum must have rules and boundaries. It was an unfortunate miscommunication and misunderstanding. It was quite frustrating to be “blacklisted” for lack of a better word, only for wanting to help someone out.

I (obviously) don’t know how forums are put together but what if there is a section of “enter/respond at your own risk” where folks like me that truly want to help others can respond, but offer up nothing more than a generic email (a yahoo or gmail) that says nothing about their company?

It’s not a thought out solution, as again, I know nothing about running a forum. It just really struck me that I wasn’t “allowed” to help someone in need — that wasn’t getting the help they actually asked for.

I apologise for my remarks, thank you for under-reacting to my emotional outburst. It’s very near and dear to my heart to be able to help others where I can.

This would cause more problems than it solves. Click on a member’s icon, then click on message. Have a private conversation off the main forum.

nice.

YouTube is the best free source to learn any skill online. I recommend you to follow the advice of RedKittieKat.

Hi Carty
I totally agree with you. Youtube is the source to lean designing skills. I also follow the RedKittleKat Channel.
Thanks.

Youtube may teach you how to use the software.
It does NOT teach you design skills.

1 Like

If you follow my channel you aren’t going to learn a blessed thing! LOL! :smiley:

Trust me on that :wink: I’m a watcher … not a vlogger :wink:

PiXimperfect