What do you think of these mix covers?

I’m a dj who is planning a new mix series, with my limited graphical skills I’ve taken up the challenge to design the covers. The mixes will be posted to youtube and mixcloud. Each edition will feature a different background, the text will remain the same besides session number and specific genre. The dominant genre across the series will be progressive house.

I’m looking for opinions mainly when it comes to the text, does it give a finished appearance? Does something stick out? Top line is the artist name, underneath the name of the series “Into The Light”. There is a 30% opacity dropshadow on all text.

Below is how it was before, smaller text and the thin words thinner. I do appreciate the slick appearance of the original helvetica neue ultralight font however above I applied a 1px stroke to make it slightly less problematic in thumbnails.

I like the typography on the top three better than the smaller type on the last one. The imagery reminds me of marbled endpapers in old books.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming this. I woke up today and took a fresh look, it doesn’t feel too wrong anymore. Probably still needs something or I need some encouragement to hear it’s fine :grin: It’s a simple cover but I want to do it right the first time so it stays consistent across the series.

Trippy!

I used to buy these Solid Sounds compilation cd’s, took one out to compare font sizes. Made the fun discovery that it uses the exact same font and it seems like they also did the 1px stroke to make the thin text thicker. I did not copy… I copied this video :grin: How I make cover art for my tracks aka Dave's Photoshop tips :) - YouTube.

I think you did a good job, am loving the marbled effect, especially in the top one.

The things that feel off to me are:

• The typeface pairing - I think you should have stuck with one typeface and used contrasting weights (rather than using different weights in different typefaces)
  • The text disappears into the background here, is a bit difficult to read:
1 Like

Really appreciate the input!

• The typeface pairing - I think you should have stuck with one typeface and used contrasting weights (rather than using different weights in different typefaces)

I believe I am using one typeface called “Helvetica Neue”, “Medium Extended Regular” and “Ultralight Regular”. I have downloaded these as one pack with an otf and ttf file for each variation (weight?). I’m not too confident about the wording. The artist name I squeezed down a bit in heigh, does this make you think it’s a different typeface? In the 4th picture of the opening post you can see how it looked before I reduced the height.

• The text disappears into the background here, is a bit difficult to read:

Good point, what I did is increase the dropshadow opacity from 30% to 60%, shifted the image a bit to the right and applied a surface warp around the top text to make the lines clash less. Think it looks better. Overall I’m a bit hesitant to apply too much drop shadow. Let me hear your thoughts!

New

Previous

Very much so, I didn’t actually even recognize the extended typeface as Helvetica too. I don’t think they mix well, I’d either go all extended or all standard and have the only difference be the weight, but that’s just me :man_shrugging:

This is much more legible :+1: :

1 Like

If I understand correctly you mean change weight only within eg; “Medium Extended Regular”, how should I achieve that? There is no second drop down available when selecting either of these fonts, only a 3rd dropdown with strong, sharp etc. I am using a 2015 version of photoshop so I see from this video that I don’t have access to variable fonts either.

A comparison between normal and reduced height.

I tested what standard “helvetica regular” and “helvetica light regular” would look like, not good :grin:

There are many more weights and styles of Neue Helvetica that should be able to accomplish what you’re trying to achieve.

See: https://www.linotype.com/1266/neue-helvetica-family.html

1 Like