WIP - Flat characters illustration

Hello everyone,

I’ld like to learn to do flat characters illustration and I watched many tutorials on Youtube.
Annotation 2020-03-14 113123

I post my WIP illustration so that get your tips and technics to improve my sketch.
It’s more difficult for me to draw the hands, the face and the plant.

Thanks you,

flat characters? Never heard of that tern before.
Hands are hard to draw, after many years of practice i hope i master that technique.

as far as human drawing and just drawing in general, with practice and time will get anyone better. I would avoid tracing an image from a photo because anyone can do that. the finished result does not entice the viewer as much as a drawn composition, if this makes sense.

as far as using software, photoshop seems the best, with a pen stylus- i figured out placing a sheet of white paper over the drawing pad helps get better lines without that slip.

I am still waking up and kinda tired from a 12 hour drawing day yesterday an do not want to type unclear advice or reasons until i get my day started.

im sure others will comment here soon!

Just my 2 cents, but the flat illustration style that you show in the youtube example is more stylized. As in, the style used is not 100% true to actual anatomy and yet you’re attempting to be truer to real life using the photo of the girl as your starting point. The flatter illustrative style is also on a completely flat plane, no perspective, no viewing from a worms eye or birds eye view. If you’re going to attempt to replicate it, use a straight on view or straight on side view of a subject at eye level.

And, yes, drawing hands is difficult (at least for me.) Thankfully I’m not an illustrator.

1 Like

Thanks you @CraigB for your observations.

Your examples remind me of a kind of art that was popular back in the 1980s. At the time, the shapes were typically cut out from colored paper, arranged into a composition and photographed. Some of these paper compositions would be three-dimensional. These were commonly referred to as paper sculptures.

As for drawing this kind of thing today, I’d use Illustrator or another vector application. Cutting out paper was tough since what could be done with the paper was limited. With Illustrator, there are many more possibilities for tweaking things.

1 Like