How's your weather?

56f here right now, early Sunday morning. To warm for the time of year.

1 Like

Iā€™d write about my weather, but itā€™s New England. It was a downpour of rain about 10 minutes ago, now the sun is peaking out. Temp is dropping though. The remains of that hurricane blowing through brought all that humid warm air and the whole past week has been a true Indian Summer. Glad for it too. Got the rest of the yard bolted down for winter, except for the leaves on the back lawn. Maybe today. Maybe.

1 Like

We got our first snow overnight. Itā€™s not much in the big scheme of things ā€¦ but enough to get those plows out - scraping up the blacktop :wink:

We got that same snow. The plows didnā€™t even bother. Turned to rain about 530am. Really weird there is almost a 20Ā°F temp difference between home and work. Itā€™s 54Ā° here at work and steady rain.

1 Like

Buffalo had 6 feet of the white stuff dumped on it on less than a day from that lake effect storm. :flushed:

This is not my pic ā€¦ itā€™s from Nickā€™s Seasonal DĆ©cor on FB. But, a picture is worth a 1000 words :wink:

We are about 3 hours away and got a slight dusting.

2 Likes

I was wondering if you would get any of that snow.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, Buffalo has these kinds of huge lake effect snowstorms every few years. Iā€™d need to seriously consider that before moving there. Iā€™m not a big fan of snow. Iā€™m not even sure how one would dig out from six feet of the stuff.

1 Like

Everyone is pretty well equipped for it. Itā€™s a pain for a couple days. But, DOT gets right to it with the main roads and the towns are well set up to take care of what DOT doesnā€™t. And everyone has a snowblower - industrial strength. :wink: People are good about looking out for neighbors who canā€™t or donā€™t have any way to get a path made.

Seeing something like this over the course of a week is a sight to behold. Literal mountains of snow piled up in parking lots. :slight_smile:

As for here ā€¦ we just get regular snowstorms for the most part. We can get a lot in a short time ā€¦ but nothing like lake effect. All you can do is hunker down and wait until itā€™s over.

Itā€™s a cold one out there this morninā€™ :cold_face::cold_face::cold_face:

Itā€™s a nice day here today. Balmy, light breeze, and uncharacteristically wet. We mightā€™ve got 0.5in rain last night, and thatā€™d be the most rain since mid-summer.

1 Like

My wife and I were looking at the long term forecast just this morning. Fortunately, we never travel over the holidays, but there are people coming into town. Itā€™s not too bad right now, but itā€™s supposed to get pretty cold as we get closer to Christmas. It will be quite a shock for a couple of folks coming from Southern California.

1 Like

We got about 8 inches of snow overnight on top of the three or four inches from yesterday. Itā€™s supposed to snow another few inches today and tonight.

1 Like

Do you ski?

1 Like

No, I donā€™t ski. For some reason, it never interested me.

Besides, I know too many people who have torn their knee ligaments and broken their legs while skiing.

On top of that, the downhill stuff is expensive. A season pass for Alta and Snowbird is $1845. Park City, Solitude, and Brighton are a bit cheaper, but a Deer Valley season pass, if one wants to hobnob with the rich and famous, runs a bit over $3000. Even day passes run around $150ā€“200 apiece, which adds up quickly since learning to ski takes time.

I have a nice pair of snowshoes but havenā€™t used them in four or five years. Iā€™ve been tempted to buy cross-country skis but never have.

Iā€™m not a fan of snow and cold weather. Iā€™d rather take my mountain bike up to Deer Valley in the summer and ride the ski trails for free.

1 Like

Staying cold all week; it will get colder, probably.
Getting used to wearing a wooly hat indoors.
Temperatures in Fahrenheit

1 Like

Looks like a big part of the U.S. is going to be well below normal this week. We are supposed to get 2" - 4" of snow on Thursday, and the high temperature on Friday is predicted to be 2Ā°F / -17Ā°C. Oh, and that day when itā€™s going to be 2Ā°? Itā€™s supposed to be very windy. Yikes. Glad I donā€™t have to leave the house.

1 Like

Last week, we got about 16 inches of snow over the course of a few days at our house. Itā€™s also been cold, so it hasnā€™t melted. I spent a good part of a couple of days shoveling and snow blowing. I really wish that Iā€™d been born in San Diego or Maui where the precipitation remains liquid.

That is cold! I didnā€™t think it ever got quite that cold in your part of the country ā€” especially in December.

1 Like

2Ā° for a daytime high is pretty unusual. We might dip down into single digits for overnight lows in January or February, but then it typically gets up into the 20s during the day. It seems like there is a big mass of cold, northern air thatā€™s moving unusually far south.

1 Like

We had several inches of snow a couple days ago. But, it also came with a lot of rain before and after. It doesnā€™t look too snowy other than a few big snowbanks that hadnā€™t melted down.

We are still holding in the 30ā€™s during the day but dropping to single digits at night.

Iā€™ll report back if anything changes on this side of the countryside :wink: