***Snickers, Chuckles, Giggles & Guffaws!

I’ve always found it interesting that so many meaningful facial expressions are preprogrammed into us as instinctive.

Everyone, anywhere in the world, instantly knows what’s being communicated by subtle differences in what one’s facial muscles automatically do without us even thinking about it.

I see no reason why a huge, forced frown combined with a nod of the head would indicate strongly felt and well-earned approval in addition to deep respect and/or mutual agreement, yet that’s precisely what it communicates.

It’s something that’s lost when simply writing, as I am now, which makes a perfect time to use an emoji with a facial expression to help me clarify. :thinking:

2 Likes

Compliment is the wrong spelling in this case. It should be “complement”. Right?

1 Like

On second thought, compliment is correct. So where is the grammar mistake?

1 Like

Compliment means a remark of approval or admiration. Complement means to complete, finish, or add to something else in a way that matches or enhances.

As far as I can tell, the only mistake in the sentence is the absence of a comma after the introductory prepositional phrase — in other words, after the word playing.

1 Like

Yep, needs a comma or possibly a new sentence. It’s been a decade or 4 since my last English class. As it is “it’s a compliment” would be like a song title.

2 Likes

Punctuation-saves-lives

6 Likes

If a musician gives another musician this face while they’re playing It’s a Compliment, it’s a complementary compliment.

1 Like

6 Likes

That’s really funny.

1 Like

Anyone care for a little Breen?

1 Like

Do I need to know a backstory? I’m not getting the joke I fear :frowning:

Never heard of Breen either, so that could be the issue.

I know, I know … way to ruin a joke having to have it explained! LOL … I’m sorry :wink:

embarrassed

2 Likes

I’m with RKK on this one; I don’t get it. Out of curiosity, I clicked on two or three of his other YouTube videos and had the same reaction. Who is he?

2 Likes

He’s a writer/director/actor/editor/producer that has made 5 full feature-length independent films:

His films are bit of an acquired taste, but if you’re curious would recomend checking out Faithful Findings:

Thanks for the info. I think I get it now. He’s like Tommy Wiseau. Another “acquired” taste of “this is so bad, it’s good”. I’m of the mind set that if you stink… I’m not going to acquire you :rofl:

I forced myself to watch The Room because everyone was raving about how hysterical it was. All I saw was someone who made a terribly bad movie (thinking it was epic) and was being laughed at. That was just sad to me. That article also mentioned he is also like Ed Wood. I don’t like him either. His schtick was blood and boobs. Not a combo I care for.

I’ll get off my soapbox now.

:grin:

1 Like

I know about Ed Wood. He made the absolute worst, most incompetent movies ever made — so incredibly bad that they were fascinating. I think I’ve seen Plan 9 From Outer Space three or four times — each time absolutely mystified by how utterly incompetent it is. If I remember right, he also made the awful transvestite film, Glen or Glenda.

2 Likes

I take it that you never watched a single Hallmark movie?

4 Likes

giphy

1 Like

:laughing:

Sounds like it could be good viewing for a bad movie night with a few mates and some brewskis :sunglasses: :beers:!

The entire Plan 9 movie is on YouTube.

2 Likes

A director with more enthusiasm than talent. Or maybe, a lot of enthusiasm and NO talent. His movies are well known and still viewed despite this, mostly through an accident of history. I hear his name and I wonder first - how many more incompetents have disappeared into justifed oblivion (probably countless), and secondly how many great films by talented directors never made a dent in the public awareness (certainly numerous)?

2 Likes