Your neck of the woods

Hahaha! Are you using metric system or imperial? That would still be a bit chilly if imperial! Tennessee here sitting at a “lovely” 90°F with >70% humidity, lol. Swamp.

1 Like

I live in Canada, so 25º C will be considered hot.

U.S. ranks with Myanmar and Liberia as the only three countries in the world not using the metric system officially.

And we like to force it onto all graphic designers around the world through the use of pixels per inch and dots per inch.

Why we still mainly use inches, feet, yards, miles, gallons, pints, quarts, ounces and 32 and 212 degrees being the freezing and boiling points of water is anyone’s guess — pure obstinance I think. Personally, for the sake of making math easier, I’d switch in a heartbeat to the nice, neat, decimal-based metric system if it didn’t run counter to the rest of the country.

1 Like

It is quite absurd. Metric makes 1000x more sense, I’m glad I learned it both ways so when we make the switch I’m not SOL, ha.

1 Like

It’s the British you know. They got the rest of the world buying in to their quirky imperial system and, wham!, they decided metric was better.

The inches still have its use though. How else we could figure out picas?

2 Likes

Even that’s not so straight-forward. A pica is equal to 0.16666667 inch — at least until PostScript came along and decided to round it off to it being a sixth of an inch, which also changes the width of a point by a teeny, tiny, itsy-bitsy amount.

When I worked at a newspaper, all horizontal measurements were always in picas and points, as were all measurements related to type, of course.

Do you Canadians still use imperial gallons or has everyone finally been convinced to think in terms of liters? Once again, the U.S. decided to go its own way with U.S. gallons instead of Imperial gallons, which always threw me off whenever I drove in Canada.

Yeah, that screwed me up too (along with everybody else), until someone thought that 100s were better for counting. Yes, we are using litres, and on supermarket shelves we find tin cans of 156 mL, 796 mL. Might as well be sticking to ounces.

I grew up in the metric system. It’s all I learned at school, yet culturally we are all somewhere between the two, on a sliding scale. I measure, and think metric, when it comes to work and anything hard and concrete. In my head, (points excepted), small distances are always in mm, cm and metres. Fractions of an inch make absolutely no sense to me.

However when Brits are dealing with figurative spoken approximates, then things get very messy. For the majority of us; ‘How far is that?’ Is likely to elicit something like …

‘Dunno, probably about three mil.’
‘About four inches.’
‘Could be around two feet.’
‘Maybe 10 metres or so.’
‘Oh, give or take 30 miles.’

Never yards for my generation, but for my parents’ generation, always imperial, apart from millimetres. My father flips between mm and thou’.

My daughters’ generation, I think almost always metric apart from speed, long distances and personal weight.

No one ever weighs themselves as, 68kg, or even 150lbs. It would always be 10 stone, 10lbs. In my head, I know exactly how much 12st 5 is (three beers, a good curry and a couple of cakes too much), but 173lbs is just a number. Grams and ounces are interchangeable for me.

For most everyone, speed judgements are always mph, as that is what we use n the roads. Fuel for cars is sold in litres, but your car does 50 miles to the gallon.

Money: Everyone my age and younger mentally works with 100 pennies to the pound. Anyone older can do both and just gets the old base 12, LSD (pounds, shillings and pence) thing. I can’t begin to. I don’t even understand why pence is D. My parents do, like it’s second nature. I have a friend who is only a few years older than me and does. For me it’s gibberish. For my grandfather, he always worked in old money and converted in his head on the fly.

It’s all a bit weird, but it’s fine. We all understand and muddle along with it. Now, just to screw it all up again, we leave Europe (don’t get me started…). Please, please, let us stick with metric. 144 pennies to the pound is just plain wrong!

I was ten when we made the switch to decimal in the UK and for my school studies it made things a lot easier. I had just got used to adding 9 shillings to 1 pound 14 shillings etc. or dividing 2 pounds 5 shillings by 3.

20 shillings to the pound, 12 pennies to the shilling. D is for denarii and L for pounds comes from libra pondo - all latin (we used to use that a lot more too).

Somehow “Give a man 2.54 cm and he’ll want 1.61 km” does not resonate with me, and “A pint of bitter” sounds so right!

Sorry, didn’t mean to sidetrack everyone.

Conversations happen :slight_smile:

This is the most action this thread has seen in a while :smiley:

I have no idea what most of you are talking about … but that’s ok

:wink:
:grin:

2 Likes

Well, one must admit this is culturally interesting and nerd worthy. How can one fail?

Neither have some of us. Trust me.

2 Likes

Moonrise over Case Steve O. This was taken about 8:30 a.m. CST this morning.

6 Likes

Reminds me of watching a lunar landing back in the early days … gorgeous :heart:

1 Like

Very nice — a waning gibbous moon. I have several friends who are heavily involved in astro photography. I’ve been wanting to see comet Neowise just before dawn on the eastern horizon, but I’d need to drive to the other side of the valley to get the mountains out of the way.

2 Likes

I’m only into astro photography enough to grab my camera and shoot from my driveway when I see something nice. I think it would be fun to try my hand at shooting the Milky Way, but I’m lacking the time that takes to plan and implement the excursion.

1 Like

We do like a good gibbous moon! Not quite sure why, but I really love the phrase, gibbous moon.

2 Likes

Every year my white Hydrangea’s turns pink and then a dusty rose into the Fall

:slight_smile:

This is just a couple days ago.

Today they just started to blush :heart:

3 Likes

Wow these pictures are just amazing. What a stunning view !!! Beauty at its best.

1 Like