How's your weather?

Never mind that some of those mountains used to be volcanoes. Talk about ‘interesting.’ :scream:

Hawaiian volcanos only spew rivers of lava in specific locations. The big cones have been extinct or dormant for thousands of years. I’d be willing to take my chances. :thinking:

We drove to the top of Mauna Kea once, and it was spectacular — nothing but sky, clouds below and above, volcanic rock, views of the Pacific miles below, and some of the largest telescopes in the world.

I think we are in reaching that heat wave cycle others have been going through. It’s hot. Well over 90° the past few days and they are saying it will break 100° by Sunday.

It feels kinda hot for me (+34C)

Our main shops are not air conditioned. Sucks.

We’ve been girding our loins all week for our first 100 degree day. (real not index) There have been warnings all over everything. Now they are saying it “might” get to 95° with an index of 102°. The humidity it already thick enough to cut out there. I won’t miss 100° but it sure won’t be pleasant.
The humidity has been so bad around here we need the AC running even when actual temp would be bearable with fans. My power bill last month was triple :flushed:

For that alone I can’t wait for Fall LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

(this is sort of me)

It has been toasty around here this summer. Personally, I’ll take hot and sunny over the cold and gray that is typically January and February in the Midwest.

2 Likes

Hey, hey! This is a family forum.

1 Like

Toronto has been reasonably mild, but I don’t want to jinx it.

1 Like

She coulda said, “Hitch up yer drawers.”
Kinda the same. Sorta.

1 Like

Ok, done with the heat here…It isn’t even pleasant out in the boat on the lake. Worse actually cuz, sun.

Given up on keeping the garden alive (actually that was weeks ago when the rain barrels ran out.)

1 Like

I hear ya. It’s very … how shall I say it … “thick”… out there. I’m so over it :frowning:

Here, it’s 74° F and cloudy, which is unusual. I checked a couple of days ago, and for the past month, the average high daily temperature here was 100° F.

I don’t like it that hot, but I get accustomed to it. After a prolonged stretch of high temperatures, 80° seems almost like jacket weather.

Hot and dry is okay. We’re pretty close to 70% humidity. I walk outside and immediately break a sweat. Good thing the yard is dead. I don’t have to do the lawn and can sit here in the cellar with the cats. I’d rather be on the boat though

Yeah, the humidity is the big difference between where you and I live. Here, the average humidity on a hot summer day is, perhaps, thirty-some percent. We rarely get a good rainstorm in the summer, and when that happens, the humidity goes up, but the temperatures come down, so it’s never an issue.

Here in Utah’s valleys, there’s never enough rain to grow anything except sagebrush and other high desert plants. We get all our water from snow melt from the adjacent mountains, where there’s usually enough winter precipitation to keep things irrigated in the valleys during the following summer.

All our gardens, lawns, farmland, city trees, etc., must be regularly irrigated, or they die. I have a lawn where I’ve set the sprinkler timers to water twice a day. Anything less, and it dries up and dies. Nobody here has rain barrels because there’s never enough rain to fill a barrel.

I’ve never lived anywhere other than in a desert, so are you saying that you and your fellow New Englanders depend almost exclusively on rain to keep things green? Couldn’t you have watered your garden and lawn with a hose for a few days? These are stupid questions, but my always having lived in an area where irrigating is a regular, daily summer chore, depending on Mother Nature to keep things green seems a bit magical.

They irrigate farms here. Most have wells. I pay town water. Nope. Plus, I think watering a lawn is…uh…wasteful. My lawn is an interesting combination of crabgrass, clover, violets and other things. The front lawn has two big thirsty oak trees under it and is pretty dead compared to the back.

Weird thing about the crabgrass, it is the only thing alive in the front lawn and every morning, without rain, it always has dew on it. Someone should study that. LOL!

I can’t remember last when the rain barrels went dry. Usually it is fine. It’s been a good 3 weeks, maybe 4 since a good day of rain. “Scattered showers” don’t cut it. I don’t have much in the garden anyway. Not enough to make a dent in my grocery bill. :laughing:

1 Like

Hot and humid.

I went on a bike ride this morning. Over a 2.5 hour ride, I lost 4 pounds … and that’s while drinking 3 bottles or water, 2 bottles of Gatorade, and eating some snacks.

1 Like

It’s been so hot for so long and very little rain - things are looking rather crispy. Some trees have already started changing.

This is going into effect on Friday:

I’m shocked they didn’t implement it before now.

I just checked the outdoor thermometer. It says 99° F. In a normal year, the temperatures would have cooled down into 80s by the first of Sept, but this year isn’t normal.

In Salt Lake, we’ve been under a save water request all summer due to the long-term drought affecting the western U.S. The Great Salt Lake is a small fraction of its size from 30 or 40 years ago.

We have mandatory watering restrictions at my other place in the rural south-central part of the state. The lawn can be watered once per week at night from the city’s agricultural irrigation system — just enough to keep it alive in a brownish dormant state. With only about 13 inches of precipitation each year (the biggest majority of it in the winter as snow) there’s never enough rainfall in a normal year to keep a lawn watered without regular sprinklers.

This year, the city creek is dry, the ponds are empty, the reservoirs are drained, the river that runs through the valley is nothing but a trickle, and the crops are looking pretty bad. It’s turning into a climate disaster and getting worse year by year.

1 Like

Ugh. I just looked at the forecast for the next few days. The weather people are projecting record high temperatures for all of them.